mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3912 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Male jhkc

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Hebrew Display wrong character coding

I installed Hebrew version WLC. Some characters displayed are of the wrong coding (appear as a large rectangular frame. When the Hebrew Vowel Points and/or Hebrew Cantilation switches are turn on in the Preferences, more wrong characters appeared (but not all wrong).

Looking at MacSword's display, WLC display most Hebrew characters correctly without pointings and cantilations.

John
[Apr 7, 2010 10:58:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male niccarter
Veteran

Australia
Re: Hebrew Display wrong character coding

Hi John,

The default font used by PocketSword is Helvetica. Unfortunately it doesn't display Hebrew characters properly, but if you go into the Preferences (in the More tab), you can change the font to "Times New Roman", which seems to display Hebrew correctly.

Let me know if you have any issues and I'll see what I can do.
----------------------------------------
PocketSword Developer
http://twitter.com/PocketSword
[Apr 9, 2010 1:14:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male jhkc

Hello, Nic,

Thanks. When I changed the font to "Times New Roman", the display of Hebrew is fine.

However, when I look in MacSword, the font for WLC is Helvetica. Don't know why Helvetica can work with Hebrew in MacSword, but not in PocketSword.

It would be nice to have the feature of selecting different fonts for different versions as in MacSword. Although PocketSword has the extra feature of selecting Vowel Pointing and/or Cantilation.

Thanks for a great program for the iPhone/iTouch.

John
[Apr 9, 2010 10:03:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male niccarter
Veteran

Australia

Hi John,

Glad you got it to display properly. I'm not sure why Helvetica works fine on the Mac but not the iPhone.

I am planning on adding a per-module preference for fonts in summer, as iPhone OS 4.0 will allow me to include additional fonts to those bundled on the device by Apple. This means there should no longer be any display of non-English characters issues :)
PocketSword Developer
[Apr 9, 2010 3:33:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male jhkc

Thank you Nic. I hope other non-English character issues can be resolved as well. I noticed "Jehovah" is displayed in smaller characters in the Chinese ChiUn version (for example in 1Samuel 1:3). In other passages, surrounding characters "Jehovah" got affected to be displayed in smaller characters as well (e.g. 1Sam 1:5, 6, 7)

MacSword displays "Jevovah" as regular characters for these same passages in ChiUn. Although MacSword has the font selection for each version, but I am seeing that all are set to Helvetica for all Bible versions, including WLC and ChiUn.
[Apr 10, 2010 2:52:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male niccarter
Veteran

Australia

I'll take a look, John.
I'm gathering that Apple included a cut-down version of Helvetica that doesn't display all character sets in order to take up less memory on the iPhone?
PocketSword Developer
[Apr 11, 2010 12:11:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread