mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1206 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Male Bill_Zimmerly
Stranger

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Links in the Personal Module...

In the Sword's online help, the following sentence appears in the section "The Personal Commentary"...

> To create a link to other verses right click
> the text and choose Link... In the pop-up window
> enter the link location and the module linked to.

The popup is entitled "Insert Link"...

the prompting is labeled "URL"...

and there is a button labeled "Test URL..."

The "Help" button on the dialog doesn't work, but be that as it may, what is the URL for accessing (for example) Genesis 1:1 of the KJV Module? Is it something like...

file://kjv/genesis/1/1/

...or some such thing? Please help! I can't be the only person who has pointed this problem out, can I?
[Apr 1, 2010 9:21:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

Re: Links in the Personal Module...

I assume you're using Xiphos? What version are you using?
[Apr 1, 2010 9:43:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Bill_Zimmerly
Stranger

USA

I assume you're using Xiphos? What version are you using?

Hi ransome1982!

The "About" dialogue calls it "Sword-1.5.9".
[Apr 2, 2010 10:21:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

Hmm, I have no idea what you're using then. I assume "The SWORD Project for Windows", but the phrase you refer to is from Xiphos' online help, which is completely irrelevant. Could you please say where you got the software, what operating system you're using, and where you found the online help?
[Apr 3, 2010 3:31:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Bill_Zimmerly
Stranger

USA

Hmm, I have no idea what you're using then. I assume "The SWORD Project for Windows", but the phrase you refer to is from Xiphos' online help, which is completely irrelevant. Could you please say where you got the software, what operating system you're using, and where you found the online help?

It is known as "Gnome Sword 2" in the Ubuntu release of Linux. Specifically, the executable binary is "/usr/bin/gnomesword2".

But regardless of the version and the deficiency of the help text --> HOW do you represent the URL of a link to one of the modules? What does your "Help Text" say about the format of this URL?

If I just had an example, I'm sure I could figure out how to apply it. For example of an example I'm seeking, I proposed (above) a link to Genesis 1:1 in the KJV Module. Does it "look" like this...

file://kjv/genesis/1/1/

...or does it have a completely different format? What does your help text say about how to format a URL to a verse?
[Apr 4, 2010 12:01:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

First advice is to upgrade. GnomeSword is now "Xiphos", and is much, much improved over the version you have. I can't guarantee that anything will work or that I will give you correct advice for a version that old. Please see http://xiphos.org/download/debian-ubuntu/ for instructions on upgrading.

The url format (assuming it actually works in that old version) is like this:
sword://KJV/Genesis 1:1
notice that KJV has to be exactly the name of the module.
[Apr 4, 2010 4:59:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Bill_Zimmerly
Stranger

USA
applause Re: Links in the Personal Module...

First advice is to upgrade. GnomeSword is now "Xiphos", and is much, much improved over the version you have. I can't guarantee that anything will work or that I will give you correct advice for a version that old. Please see http://xiphos.org/download/debian-ubuntu/ for instructions on upgrading.

The url format (assuming it actually works in that old version) is like this:
sword://KJV/Genesis 1:1
notice that KJV has to be exactly the name of the module.

IT WORKS!!!! biggrin (In my current version!)

Thank you very much, ransom1982!
[Apr 4, 2010 7:14:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread