mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 21
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5675 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Betatest version 2.2

Hi.

Here is a beta version of the upcoming 2.2:
http://www.macsword.com/macsword2/download/MacSword-2.2.0b1-a1020.app.zip

For a list of changes please see here:
ChangeLog

Known issues are still problems with the sidebar widths. Sometimes they are not restored correctly after session load.
Also when the window is inactive the toolbar extension bar is not painted correctly with light gray color.

I would appreciate if anyone interested could test the application.
There should be no issues with the last version 2.1.1 but it might be that the toolbar items have to be restored after 2.2 has been used.

Cheers,
Manfred
[Mar 29, 2010 4:58:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male chasm
Regular

USA
Re: Betatest version 2.2

Well now....

I must say I like the improvements to the interface and fullscreen. The minimal toolbar helps a lot, and I like how the sidebars are finally of uniform height. I was always bugged at the way everything seemed to mix together...

As for the background, my opinion is altering slightly. I've experimented with the bible app on my iPod, and I've found that slightly greyish backgrounds seem to work best with serif fonts like Georgia or Times, while a whiter background is most readable with sans serif. Could be just me.

Font size handling is still a bit clunky. Even though I seem to have options for customizing fonts for different modules, opening a new tab always displays the application's default font. I prefer larger type for relaxed reading, so I set my default module to 28 point font. Opening a new tab always defaulted to the App default, which was smaller until I changed it to match. It seems that module defaults don't seem to work very well, mostly because when a new tab is opened, no module loads immediately. Could you change it so that when a new tab or window opens, the default module loads, perhaps at Genesis 1 for an "opening the Book" feel...

As you have already mentioned the sidebar issues, I won't say anything there.

All in all, it's getting better with the updates. I'm not the dev here, so I really have no right to insist on my view for what this app should be. I suppose my aim is to have a Bible study app that is as sleek, efficient, and squeaky-clean as possible. In wanting that, I imagine I can make a lot of demands that are a lot harder to achieve at the code level than I immediately realize, and I respect that. I also admire your hard work to please self-proclaimed software critics like me, and thank you for putting up with me. smile I can be a nuisance sometimes.
----------------------------------------
<this signature intentionally left blank>
[Edit 2 times, last edit by chasm at Mar 30, 2010 5:03:21 AM]
[Mar 30, 2010 5:00:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Geek [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male pomdet
Stranger

United States

I've noticed the following bugs:

*While in full screen mode, if you move the mouse to the top of the screen to display the toolbar then exit full screen while it is shown, the toolbar from full screen will still be visible overlaying the module.

*If you enter full screen mode with the right side bar visible, hide it in full screen mode with the keyboard shortcut, and exit full screen, then you will be unable to show it again in window mode. To fix it you either have to switch back to full screen mode and show it again or load a new verse in windowed mode while the right side bar is set to visible.

*It seems that you can edit a bookmark folder and specify highlight options for that folder, but as far as I can tell, this has no effect on the bookmarks contained in that folder.

I also have a few feature requests:

*I tend to forget the keyboard short-cut for leaving full screen mode, and since I cannot open the menus from full screen mode to check what it is, I would suggest adding a enter/leave full screen mode button that could optionally be added to the toolbar or allow pressing escape to exit full screen mode.

*Under Display Options -> Verse Numbering there are two options: "Show full verse numbering" and "Show verse numbers only". I find it a bit counter-intuitive to have to select the option with the checkmark in order to disable verse numbering. I'd recommend adding a 3rd option, like "Hide verse numbering", and then one of the three options will always be checked.

*It would be nice to be able to set the default foreground and background highlighting color of new bookmarks via the preferences.

*I'd like to be able to select a bookmark folder and have all the bookmarks in that folder displayed. I can accomplish this by manually entering the references for all the bookmarks separated by commas. It would also be nice to be able to display multiple bookmarks by selecting more than one bookmark with a shift or command click.

*After launch, with a new workspace open (but no modules open), when I select a bookmark, it's reference gets added to the search bar but the verse is not displayed. It would be convenient if the bible I have selected as my default in the preferences were opened when selecting a bookmark or entering a reference from a blank workspace.
[Apr 2, 2010 7:35:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Alright now.
Thanks for your reports.
Your bug reports as in the first three points should be fixed.

The feature requests I will put into our tracker so they don't get lost and can be integrated into the next versions.

Here is a new beta version. Finally also the side bar widths should work correctly now.
http://www.macsword.com/macsword2/download/MacSword-2.2.0b2-a1082.app.zip

Cheers,
Manfred
[Apr 4, 2010 5:58:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Font size handling is still a bit clunky. Even though I seem to have options for customizing fonts for different modules, opening a new tab always displays the application's default font. I prefer larger type for relaxed reading, so I set my default module to 28 point font. Opening a new tab always defaulted to the App default, which was smaller until I changed it to match. It seems that module defaults don't seem to work very well, mostly because when a new tab is opened, no module loads immediately. Could you change it so that when a new tab or window opens, the default module loads, perhaps at Genesis 1 for an "opening the Book" feel...

I'll have a look at this...
[Apr 4, 2010 6:01:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Alright guys.

Another build. I call it rc1 because if there are no more blockers this will possibly be the release version.

I've looked at the font size handling and I think it should work now with having the right font size as defined in the font per module settings.
Also verse numbering now has three exclusive options.
Further adding a new tab/single host window opens Gen 1 as reference.

http://www.macsword.com/macsword2/download/MacSword-2.2.0rc1-a1108.app.zip

Cheers,
Manfred
[Apr 5, 2010 7:41:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male chasm
Regular

USA

Module defaults on fonts seem to work well now. However, if you change the font at all with the controls on the main window, you are presented with a blank screen, and the only way to see text again seems to be to open a new tab. Also, if you set a module default font size that is not in the pre-defined list of sizes as seen in the Font Size menu, then it will round down to one of those pre-defined sizes. It would almost seem to work better if there wasn't such a pre-defined list, and the font control could be a left-right slider per module display. I could draw a mockup...
[Apr 5, 2010 1:57:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Geek [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

However, if you change the font at all with the controls on the main window, you are presented with a blank screen, and the only way to see text again seems to be to open a new tab.

That unfortunately is a bug introduced from displaying Gen 1 when opening a new tab.
If you enter a search reference in the search field this won't happen.

Also, if you set a module default font size that is not in the pre-defined list of sizes as seen in the Font Size menu, then it will round down to one of those pre-defined sizes.

Does it?
When I set a font much larger than the largest font in the font-size drop-down for a module than it is used.
What steps do you do in order to see this?

Manfred
[Apr 5, 2010 2:25:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Here another build, we're getting closer.
Fixed the blank screen when changing font-size.
Now, if a module is configured with a font-size that is not part of the font-size pull-down menu it will be added there.
Also fixed an issue with the module installer disclaimer dialog.

http://www.macsword.com/macsword2/download/MacSword-2.2.0rc2-a1151.app.zip

Cheers,
Manfred
[Apr 7, 2010 2:57:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male chasm
Regular

USA

That link is broken... :/
[Apr 7, 2010 8:26:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Geek [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread