mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 39
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 248037 times and has 38 replies Next Thread
Male alvanx
Regular

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
German Menge-Bibel

Hi,

I heard the German translation by Hermann Menge went into the public domain this year. It is a decent and high-quality translation that I'm sure most German users would welcome very much.
[Mar 13, 2010 3:26:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male alvanx
Regular

Re: German Menge-Bibel

I happened to stumble over an OSIS file of the Menge Bible here. Since it is hosted by the same guy also hosting the Zefania XML modules, my guess is that he or somebody else converted it from said format.

I downloaded it and followed the steps here and here. With zero experience, I created a module that works decently, but can contain any number of mistakes (I haven't noticed any apart from versification though). I find the learning curve for module creating VERY steep, and I had basically no idea what I was doing except for what hints I found on the wiki.

I also found a raw OSIS file of the Zürcher Bibel 1931 in the same place and followed through with the same procedure. Unfortunately, this Bible isn't as well-formatted and has comments and parallel passages at the end of each verse. Both should be just fine for the average user though.

I don't want other people to have to go through the same hassle, so I put my modules up for download here and here. There is a readme file contained that should be consulted.

If anyone who knows what they are doing would like to look over them and maintain them, I'd love to have contributed to this project.
[Apr 30, 2010 10:54:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male moharasij

Hi,
there is no need for maintainance. The bible is pretty much fixed. :-)

So if the modules are fine just email them to modules@crosswire.org.

If they're not perfect, don't mind, someone can pick up and produce version 1.1.

Thanks for your work :-)
[May 1, 2010 5:50:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male alvanx
Regular

Hi,

cool, I didn't know it would be so easy! I emailed the files.
[May 2, 2010 1:19:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Hi.

The sources at Zefania are very questionably to say the least.
I doubt that modules from this source will be accepted in our module database.

Manfred
[May 2, 2010 1:47:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

If this bible really is public domain now I would work on a proper CrossWire module.

Manfred
[May 2, 2010 1:54:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

According to German law the copyright protection expires 70 years after the death of the original author. Menge died 9. January 1939.
The revision that was published 1949 was the last revision of Menge so we should be able to use that as a source for a module. From my research the only difference in the last revision from 1994 is the use of "Herr" instead of "HErr".
However I will contact Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft and ask them about it.

Manfred
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mdbergmann at May 2, 2010 2:47:25 AM]
[May 2, 2010 2:46:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male alvanx
Regular

I am referring to statements made here and here (and regarding this link I believe some of these are even your own comments).

It seems (from other discussions on sword-devel) that the text that was used was directly copied from the DBG website. That doesn't seem entirely legal to start with. They say they have a copyright on their layout of the translation, but if you just used the text (that they didn't change) in your own formatting, would it still infringe their copyrights?

Anyway, I'd be excited if there was a real SWORD module for Menge.

How about the Zürcher though? I see it is already listed in the Module Requests. I didn't find any copyright information online.
[May 3, 2010 4:15:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

The fact, that the Menge Bible text as such is now public domain (which got confirmed by DBG) is one thing. It may be different for the digital version of the text. Someone made the effort of digitising the text. Copyrights on this may be different. I'm checking this with DBG right now.

Manfred
[May 3, 2010 5:04:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

This Menge-Bibel comes from DBG's website (http://www.die-bibel.de/online-bibeln/menge-bibel/lesen-im-bibeltext/). There is no reason to believe that we can use a text that was ripped from their pages by Zefania's people.

There is also no reason to believe that the Zürcher-Bibel was appropriated legally.

We would also never use content from Zefania if there existed any other source. Their data is always the lowest quality available.
[May 3, 2010 1:00:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread