mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2312 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Male chasm
Regular

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Feature request: Simplify the Bookmark System

Well, that build was very buggy, including some bugs fixed in the current 2.1 beta... like the sidebars and such. I don't see many changes aside from the GUI layout...

But since you asked about interface suggestions (which the thought of kept my attention a lot more than the new build did), here's a mockup:

I think the Chromium interface can provide a lot for MacSword, and the frameworks for that are open-source. As the screenshot shows, we now have the workspace tabs in the title bar like Chrome, and Chrome-like icons replace the text functions. The wrench icon can have all the module options, and the page icon (a placeholder while I dream up other ideas) can be the module display options. To the left of the search field, we have the Reference Lookup and Search mode toggle (with possible icons), and on either side of the toolbar are the toggles for the sidebars. The bottom metal bar of the macsword interface is no longer needed (since all it had was the two sidebar toggles), so it is removed. The font size menu is now located in the module display. (on the other hand, putting options for choosing both the font and the size in the same menu would be a cool idea)

Fullscreen Mockup:

Following the theme, the tab is flipped to come out of the top. By default, the toolbar is hidden "above" the screen, and clicking the button with the down arrow will make the toolbar pull down like a drawer so you can use the controls, and will auto-move back up when the cursor moves away. The sidebar controls are on the sides of the tab bar. Font size controls are in the module window, just like in windowed mode.

What do you think?

EDIT: Now that I have wandered off topic far enough to be making interface mockups like this (aren't they great? They're pretty tricky to make look this good), can this post be split into another topic about proposed changes to the overall GUI?
----------------------------------------
<this signature intentionally left blank>
[Edit 4 times, last edit by chasm at Feb 20, 2010 1:56:20 AM]
[Feb 19, 2010 7:32:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Geek [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Yeah, it looks good. A bit kittenish though.
How did you put this together?

I've seen the Chromium project at Google Code but I'll have to dig a bit deeper in how to use those frameworks.

Manfred
[Feb 20, 2010 5:07:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male chasm
Regular

USA

Yeah, it looks good. A bit kittenish though.

batting eyelashes Didja notice that? Mac apps oughta always look nice and sleek... uh, yeah.

How did you put this together?

I really should have recorded the screen while I was doing it, because I'd probably forget. Took a couple hours... I started with a frame mockup in vector, then "dressed it up" with interface pieces taken out of screenshots. What I couldn't find, I made from scratch by modifying text glyphs (the arrows and such) Lot of copy/paste and layer work, but I did alright. (Actually, the real hard work was only on the windowed mode mockup. Once I finished, I just recycled a lot of it into my larger canvas for the fullscreen.)

I've seen the Chromium project at Google Code but I'll have to dig a bit deeper in how to use those frameworks.

Yeah, but I think it could work out. I've seen Chromium already sucessfully applied to other apps, like TotalFinder.
<this signature intentionally left blank>
[Edit 1 times, last edit by chasm at Feb 20, 2010 5:27:24 AM]
[Feb 20, 2010 5:19:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Geek [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread