mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 27
Posts: 27   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8093 times and has 26 replies Next Thread
Male chasm
Regular

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Feature request: Simplify the Bookmark System

Well... I will say that I really can't read this new layout at all....

As for the log... here's a link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/963452/Misc/log.txt
----------------------------------------
<this signature intentionally left blank>
[Feb 20, 2010 7:46:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Geek [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

White colour is the highest stress for the eyes/brain and warm colour (yellow, orange, red) more than cold colours (blue, green).
So actually I would like to set a background/foreground colour that low stress.

Don't bother with this alpha build right now. There are a couple of issues because of the refactorings and I'll do a lot more of those in the next time.

Further I'm investigating to use CSS as technology for display customisations.

I'll post again a alpha build when it is better working again. :)

Cheers,
Manfred
[Feb 22, 2010 2:58:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male lcmslutheran

USA

As to the point of the right click stuff, this is residue from the PC afflicted. One of the things not mentioned anywhere that makes Apple programming so useful over and above the still-DOS-based (circa 1970's) software is the consistency of the commands. It would be more consistent with the Apple UI to double-click a highlighted passage and have a window appear with the bookmark options in it.
[Feb 28, 2010 5:07:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male lcmslutheran

USA

Now that I try the bookmark system (in Mac OS 10.6.2) I can specify a highlight color but when I click "OK" there is no highlight on the verse or the selection.
[Feb 28, 2010 5:26:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Now that I try the bookmark system (in Mac OS 10.6.2) I can specify a highlight color but when I click "OK" there is no highlight on the verse or the selection.

You need to enable "Highlight bookmarks" in the "Display options" popup menu.
If you want to permanently turned on then change it in preferences. This will then be pushed to every window that is opened from then on.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mdbergmann at Feb 28, 2010 6:01:59 AM]
[Feb 28, 2010 6:01:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

I have a new build. It should work as before although many things have been changed internally. Could you please try it?
One new thing is that the bookmarks cells in the left side bar do now additionally show the references. This was a special request from someone and I found it a good idea.

One or two more things will be added before this gets final.

http://www.macsword.com/macsword2/download/MacSword-2.2.0a-a765.app.zip

Cheers,
Manfred
[Mar 4, 2010 2:04:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male chasm
Regular

USA

Okay...

- Even with highlights enabled (which should be by default), I have to reload the module to see the highlights. It is the only thing I ever need to reload for, considering that Strong's Numbers, Jesus' Words in Red, and Font Size changes apply immediately. Also, always having to set a highlight color is of course time consuming. I certainly hope the palette idea is coming soon. :)

- The Reference in the sidebar is a good idea, though it would eventually clutter up. I would personally have named the bookmark after the reference, then grouped my bookmarks in folders (kinda like previous suggestions in this topic)

I'll mess around with this build some more later.

EDIT: On the background color... it clashes a lot. I found the best background other than plain white is to match the color to the sidebar. It looks pretty good.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by chasm at Mar 4, 2010 9:37:56 PM]
[Mar 4, 2010 9:36:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Geek [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

- Even with highlights enabled (which should be by default), I have to reload the module to see the highlights.

That's possibly a bug. En/Disabling the bookmark highlight should trigger a reload immediately.

Also, always having to set a highlight color is of course time consuming. I certainly hope the palette idea is coming soon. :)

What do you mean "set a highlight color"? Why is that time consuming?
You can define you own palette, just drag your defined colors into the subsection of the Color Chooser and those will stay there as your pre-defined colors.

- The Reference in the sidebar is a good idea, though it would eventually clutter up. I would personally have named the bookmark after the reference, then grouped my bookmarks in folders (kinda like previous suggestions in this topic)

I believe naming the bookmarks after the reference is not such a good idea.
My personal preference is to collect multiple verse references under a bookmark.
Actually here the term "bookmark" is not quite right. It should be "Verse list" or something.
A bookmark as when used in a real book only marks one page or chapter.
I guess at some point we will rename bookmark to verse list and have something additional which comes closer to a bookmark.

EDIT: On the background color... it clashes a lot. I found the best background other than plain white is to match the color to the sidebar. It looks pretty good.

You are free to change the background color to whatever suits you best.
Maybe we can do a vote here or so.

Btw:
Memory usage of MacSword should be much less in this version.
Also switching between reference and index lookup is much faster.
Finally indexing is much faster, especially for commentary modules.
Where indexing the MHC took 15 minutes it now only takes less than a minute at only 10% of the disk space.

Cheers,
Manfred
[Mar 5, 2010 2:23:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male chasm
Regular

USA

Another thing... the toolbar in fullscreen is too big. It robs so much of my upper screen space compared to previous versions.
[Mar 5, 2010 5:51:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Geek [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Too big???
The previous version didn't have a toolbar that was visible in full screen mode.
What screen size do you have?
You are now able to enter references in fullscreen mode.
In germany there is a saying that would translate to: "One death you have to die." :)
Now I believe the possibility to enter references is better than switching from/to fullscreen mode for that.
What do you say.

Manfred
[Mar 6, 2010 7:34:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 27   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread