mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1862 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Male chasm
Regular

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
MacSword Bugs

I will list bugs I have found with the latest version of MacSword (2.1.0-463):

* The Right Sidebar extends quite too far to the left when opened. (screenshot)

As you can see, it wastes a lot of window space. It can of course be resized and will seem to save that setting, but it will revert to the larger size on any newly opened Workspace windows. Also, the sidebar widths are scaled when I transition to fullscreen, which makes them waste more space. If they are adjusted in fullscreen, they will be scaled down to be far too narrow in windowed.

By the way, the interface art in the screenshot is SnowTunes (kinda like iLeopard for Snow Leopard), and I did a minor edit to your tabs to make them fit the theme. I kept the original files backed up, but I like the look. I'll be more than happy to send you the edited files if you ever introduce options for skins in MacSword. smile

* When I open a new tab, the name of the tab matches the previous one, even though I'm getting a blank window. For example, if in the first tab I was browsing Mark 1, the new tab will say "KJV - Mark 1" even though there is an empty window.

* If I do a search, the results superimpose my Reference Lookup mode. Shouldn't I be able to switch modes freely without one interfering with the other? That is, whatever passage I'm reading should still be there when I switch back from a search, and the search results should show up only when I'm in the Search Mode.

---

I'm glad to see several bugs have been fixed since the beta, especially:

* One very cryptic bug where reloading any passage would occasionally randomly insert a passage from I or III John into what I was reading, then remove it on the next refresh.

* The module option menus bleeding out of the window when the window was resized narrow enough (I also like the more Cocoa-like appearance of those menus)

-----

Thanks again for making such great Bible software. Perhaps soon, I'll open a feature request topic... laughing
----------------------------------------
<this signature intentionally left blank>
[Edit 1 times, last edit by chasm at Feb 12, 2010 7:13:23 PM]
[Feb 12, 2010 7:06:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Geek [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Re: MacSword Bugs

Thanks chasm for your bug reports.
It is greatly appreciated.

Please check out the latest update, just released couple of minutes ago.
The one with switching between reference lookup and index search will is not yet included.

Regards,
Manfred
[Feb 13, 2010 6:09:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male chasm
Regular

USA

In regards to 2.1.1-481:

* The fix on the sidebars is adequate, though maybe not optimal. The Core Graphics effect makes it clear that the sidebars still start at their previous defaults, then transition to user-set defaults. That is, when I launch MacSword, both sidebars start out wider and narrow to my chosen widths. A cool effect the first few times, but then it becomes annoying. I also notice that the scaling effect appears to have been removed, but I still see transitions from what would have been the "scaled" sizes, and what would be my user selected sizes.

I think it would be better if MacSword simply remembered my choice of sidebar widths, and always displayed them that way without any graphics effects.

Quick screencast: Click Here (Sorry, but the movie is at full resolution of my screen, but it is less than 3 MB in size. Viewing it fullscreen is almost like being at my computer.) :)

* The fix on the tabs is good, as it does address the issue I pointed out. However, I now notice that the title of the tab and the title bar of the app match exactly what is shown in the search field at the top. If you delete the text in the search bar, the reference disappears on the tab and title bar, and will not reappear unless the reference is selected in the sidebar, or if the reference is re-typed and I hit Enter. I don't understand why the tab and titlebar is tied to the search field. Shouldn't the tab and titlebar always display the passage I'm reading in Reference Lookup Mode, or the term I searched in Search Mode? Also (and quite strangely), if there is no text entered into the search field, then none of the module options work. I cannot change font size, toggle Strong's numbers, or anything. confused

Screens:

Also note in those screens, a mysterious left/right scroll bar appeared. It must have come when I resized the window to take a smaller screenshot, and it did not go away no matter how I resized the window afterwards. I had to open a new workspace window to make it go away. Odder still, if I slowly resize the window to any small size I wish (even unrealistically small), the horizontal scrollbar does not reappear. Only when I resize the window quickly.

Click here for Screencast (I apologize again for the high res. If I can get my convertor to resize them without fuzzing them up, I'll update the links. Otherwise, it works fine to zoom out in the browser or switch to fullscreen mode, and again the file sizes are very small even for the high resolution)

-----

* If I click in the sidebar to open a passage when there are no tabs open, a new tab does not open and the passage does not load, even though it displays my selection in the title bar and search field.

* I don't know what you meant here:
The one with switching between reference lookup and index search will is not yet included.

It seems to me that this bug has been fixed in this newest version already, and I'm pleased with the result. biggrin

Thanks again for making this, and for fixing the bugs! Soon, I hope to open a new Feature Request topic, complete with mockups of any interface improvements I suggest (I hope!).
[Edit 2 times, last edit by chasm at Feb 13, 2010 11:03:14 PM]
[Feb 13, 2010 10:32:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Geek [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

* The fix on the sidebars is adequate, though maybe not optimal. The Core Graphics effect makes it clear that the sidebars still start at their previous defaults, then transition to user-set defaults. That is, when I launch MacSword, both sidebars start out wider and narrow to my chosen widths. A cool effect the first few times, but then it becomes annoying.

Yeah. The reason for this is that the window stores the widths of the side bars in the session and re-applies them when the window is already displayed.
The side bars should instead apply the stored widths while loading.
I've added a new issue in the tracker already for this.

As for the widths change for the transition from/to fullscreen mode it appears that Cocoa changes the widths without notification as it normally does when changing the side bars widths. The current solution is more or less a workaround.
Hoping to find something better but needs some research.

* The fix on the tabs is good, as it does address the issue I pointed out. However, I now notice that the title of the tab and the title bar of the app match exactly what is shown in the search field at the top. If you delete the text in the search bar, the reference disappears on the tab and title bar, and will not reappear unless the reference is selected in the sidebar, or if the reference is re-typed and I hit Enter. I don't understand why the tab and titlebar is tied to the search field. Shouldn't the tab and titlebar always display the passage I'm reading in Reference Lookup Mode, or the term I searched in Search Mode? Also (and quite strangely), if there is no text entered into the search field, then none of the module options work. I cannot change font size, toggle Strong's numbers, or anything. confused

The tab and window titles are not tied to the search field but to the reference that has been entered and applied with hitting <CR> or choosing a book/chapter from the right sidebar.
In fact when you delete the reference from the search field and hit enter the text should disappear. The fact that is does not disappear could actually be considered as a bug. After deleting the text from the search field there is no more reference related to the current instance that controls the view and thus the text can't be changed.
There are some greater changes that are applied to version 2.2 in this regard but for a quick fix the text could just be removed from the view. That would help to not confuse the user.

Also note in those screens, a mysterious left/right scroll bar appeared. It must have come when I resized the window to take a smaller screenshot, and it did not go away no matter how I resized the window afterwards. I had to open a new workspace window to make it go away. Odder still, if I slowly resize the window to any small size I wish (even unrealistically small), the horizontal scrollbar does not reappear. Only when I resize the window quickly.

I've come across this, too. But very seldom. I did some investigation on this but cold find a solving solution.

* I don't know what you meant here:

It seems to me that this bug has been fixed in this newest version already, and I'm pleased with the result. biggrin

It meant exactly this. :)
However it is not optimal. Will also be changed in v2.2. Right now if you switch from reference to indexed search the search is re-applied and can take some time depending on your search constrains.

Thanks for help in nailing down the issues.
Manfred
[Feb 14, 2010 6:22:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male chasm
Regular

USA

More bugs:

* If the Preview panel is closed, it is apparently not set as "hidden". This means that the Preview panel will automatically be open on next launch unless I select the menu option to toggle show/hide.

* The bookmark system as of now is clunky, and can be confusing if not used precisely. That is, if I select a passage, the bookmark window opens and displays the reference to the entire chapter by default. I have to change it to match the passage I select. After this is done, the highlight for the bookmark does not appear unless I toggle displaying the highlight, or if I reload the module.

Request: Simplify the bookmark system. Instead of having to name the bookmark, define the passage, then define highlight, please change it so that I only have to select a passage, right-click and choose "Add Bookmark" (or click the button at the top), then have a small fold-away window that allows me to name the bookmark and choose from a small palette of pre-defined highlighter colors. (once this is implemented, it might be interesting to allow the user to define the palette, but just having what I initially suggest would immensely improve the bookmark system)

Okay... did I just put a feature request in my bugs topic? Heh...
[Feb 15, 2010 4:51:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Geek [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

* If the Preview panel is closed, it is apparently not set as "hidden". This means that the Preview panel will automatically be open on next launch unless I select the menu option to toggle show/hide.

That's actually a pretty old one.
It was forgotten all the time.

* The bookmark system as of now is clunky, and can be confusing if not used precisely. That is, if I select a passage, the bookmark window opens and displays the reference to the entire chapter by default. I have to change it to match the passage I select.

Hmm. Can you give an example?
I tested with entering 1Tim 1:1-5 in the reference box, then hit the <AddBookmark> button and in the Boomark window both name and reference are preset to 1Tim 1:1-5.
Is this not correct?

After this is done, the highlight for the bookmark does not appear unless I toggle displaying the highlight, or if I reload the module.

Setting a highlight for a particular bookmark and switching on bookmark highlighting in general are two different things. One might not always see the bookmarks highlighted.

Request: Simplify the bookmark system. Instead of having to name the bookmark, define the passage, then define highlight, please change it so that I only have to select a passage,

Define a passage, where? In the reference box or in the text?

We will have the verse references right-clickable with context menus in the future. That will give the option to have "Add Bookmark" as context-menu item and even "Add to Bookmark" to add a verse to an existing bookmark.

Manfred
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mdbergmann at Feb 15, 2010 5:46:26 AM]
[Feb 15, 2010 5:36:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread