mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7653 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Male ks
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
New to MacSword, ready to give up

I just installed MacSword for the first time. I've gotten the modules installed but this program seems nearly unusable. I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong...

1) When I open KJV with Strongs it takes 30 sec or more to load the text. Then switching to another book takes just as long.
2) With KJV Strongs open in the work/display window, The Strong's numbers are dead links.The right column show strong's numbers as well but they are dead links also. (therefore, no way to navigate the bible either)
3) The Bible test/lexicon/etc "tabs" do not close when I click the little "x"

Is it just me or is this program useless? I appreciate that it is free but it seems nearly unusable.

ps I used to use E-sword and it worked fine on my PC.
[Feb 11, 2010 2:36:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Re: New to MacSword, ready to give up

1) When I open KJV with Strongs it takes 30 sec or more to load the text. Then switching to another book takes just as long.

Text display is an expensive process especially when Strong's, Morphs or other module options are turned on.
The only advice I can give you: try to minimise your text selection to chapters at least or verse ranges.

2) With KJV Strongs open in the work/display window, The Strong's numbers are dead links.The right column show strong's numbers as well but they are dead links also. (therefore, no way to navigate the bible either)

They are not dead links. Do right-click and choose "open link" to open the Strong's number in a new tab/window.
To see the explanation of the Strong's number while hovering over the link either enable the preview panel via main menu or turn on "show preview as tooltip" in preferences or do both.
You also need to make sure that a valid Strong's lexicon is selected as default for Hebrew/Greek Strong's numbers in preferences.

3) The Bible test/lexicon/etc "tabs" do not close when I click the little "x"

I did no further investigation on this but there might be a bug on closing the tabs when one had been opened using the "+" button in the tab bar.
If you open the tabs via left side bar (double click or open in workspace) then it should work.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mdbergmann at Feb 12, 2010 1:43:56 AM]
[Feb 12, 2010 1:41:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male bbabaa

USA

I'm not convinced it is the expense involved in turning on Strongs, Morphology, Etc...
I downloaded Windows Apps and also the Bible Desktop for Mac and none of the other applications bog down like MacSword. Even the latest update version requires me to force quit and restart often enough to be a little annoying...

Choosing only a chapter or a few verses does not seem to help...

Any ideas?
----------------------------------------
Dr. Basil N. Babaa, D. Min.
Union Center of Biblical Studies
Education for Life!

(v) 704.572.1679
(f) 704.888.0407
basil.babaa@unionbiblical.org
[Feb 24, 2010 7:46:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Having to force quit when doing a verse reference lookup is new to me.
In case you have the background indexer enable, turn it off.
Eventually it will be removed completely with the next version because even though it is nice to have all indexes up to date it causes a lot of other trouble. One of them is that modules are locked during indexing and although this should not affect the reference lookup it does and this can make MacSword complete unresponsive.

Choosing only a chapter or a few verses does not seem to help...

Displaying chapters or even verses only should be very quick whether Strong's are enable or not.
When you select a complete bible book MacSword really pulls the complete text of the book which can be 30 or more chapters and here it makes a huge difference if Strong's are enabled or not.
BibleDesktop I believe does not pull the whole book but only a smaller part and you have to page though the book.
We could do this, too. But on the other hand it is just something you have to know to not select complete books or really large ranges.

Manfred
[Feb 24, 2010 8:24:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ks
Stranger

Hey Manfred, Thanks for the responses. I just downloaded the latest update and it seems that everything is working well now. Loading a whole book (sometimes useful for my studies) with Strongs numbers is still a bit slow (not as slow as before though). I can now view multiple translations/commentaries and the little "x" actually closes them!

Thanks for the help.
[Feb 24, 2010 2:50:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male BobS
Stranger

USA

I am new to macsword (eloquent) and find it cumbersome. I can not see a way to scroll down through the books of the bible. I get to the bottom of my screen and can't go any further. I do have a macbook air 11" screen
[Jul 19, 2013 5:18:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread