mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10125 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Male njk42490
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Jehovah's Witness Bible?

I personally am not a Jehovah's Witness but love to study out their religion. It would greatly aid me in my studies should there be a New World translation.
[Nov 29, 2009 10:51:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male jonmmorgan
Regular

Re: Jehovah's Witness Bible?

Since the NT was published in 1950 and the full translation in 1961, it should be under copyright. I imagine only Watchtower could grant you permission to distribute it. It does appear to be available at http://www.watchtower.org/bible/toc.htm.
[Nov 30, 2009 4:46:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dmsmith
Regular

USA

Look for the "Diaglot" module. It is the 1942 edition on which the current NWT is based.

It's a long story, but a Jehovah's Witness accidentally led me to Christ. Reading the NWT side-by-side with any other translation is a real eye-opener. You will see that the NWT is obviously a very bad translation.

Bible Desktop has a feature that allows you to compare it and another translation side-by-side with the differences marked up in a middle column. It will clearly show changes, additions and redactions.
[Dec 1, 2009 4:38:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male jonmmorgan
Regular

I'm surprised. I knew the Diaglott and NWT were related to the JW's, but I couldn't find anything saying that one was derived from the other. Also, it is I presume NT only, while the NWT is whole Bible.
[Dec 1, 2009 5:45:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dmsmith
Regular

USA

It appears that the module is NT only. Comparing it with my hard copy, it is clear the module is a revision of the 1942 printing of Benjamin Wilson's Emphatic Diaglott.

Not only are the "emphatic" parts of it gone, but much of it is different. Some examples:
Matt 1.1-2
A Register of the Lineage of Jesus Christ, Son of David, Son of Abraham. From Abraham proceeded ISAAC ; from Isaac, JACOB ; from Jacob, JUDAH and his BROTHERS.

(Note: ISAAC, JACOB and JUDAH are small-caps, but BROTHERS is all caps. Spacing of punctuation is distinctive.)

The module has:
A record of descent of Jesus Anointed, son of David, son of Abraham.  Abraham begot the Isaac, Isaac and begot the Jacob, Jacob and begot the Judas and the brothers of him.

Another example of John 1:1-2
The book has:
In the Beginning was the LOGOS, and the LOGOS was with GOD, and the LOGOS was God. This was in the Beginning with GOD.
(LOGOS and GOD are small-caps.)

The module has:
In a beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the God, and a god was the Word.  This was in a beginning with the God.

This is not surprising to me. Once when some Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door, we compared Diaglotts, both purporting to be 1942 editions. Theirs read like the module does. I doubt that the Watch Tower Society is going to broadcast its editorializing of the Bible.

It did not give me confidence that what I had wasn't redacted either.
[Dec 1, 2009 7:29:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

It's a long story, but a Jehovah's Witness accidentally led me to Christ.

That's interesting, the same happened to me. :)

Manfred
[Dec 1, 2009 3:43:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male truth2btold
Stranger

Check out the book "Truth in Translation, Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament",
by Jason David BeDuhn - Jason David BeDuhn is an associate professor of religious studies at Northern Arizona University, in Flagstaff. He holds a B.A. in Religious studies from the University of Illinois, Urbana, and M.T.S. in New Testament and Christian Origins from Harvard Divinity School, and a Ph.D. in the Comparative Study of Religions from Indiana University, Bloomington. He is the author of many articles in the areas of Biblical Studies and Manichaean Studies, and of the book, The Manichaean Body: In Discipline and Ritual (Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2000), winner of the "Best First Book" prize from the American Academy of Religion.
[Jan 26, 2010 11:30:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread