mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 17
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 388012 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
Male Clerical

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Help with MacSword

I am new to Macs and MacSword. I've used e-Sword for years until my PC died. After reading about MacSword I decided it would be safe to switch to a Mac, believing there was comparable bible study software available for the Mac.

Well, I've been playing with MacSword for a couple weeks now, and I'm pretty disappointed, and I must admit, frustrated with it. It doesn't seem to have nearly the same capabilities or resourcefulness which I loved about e-Sword.
The biggest thing I find it is lacking is a Concordance of Greek/Hebrew words (along with their english translations, how many times the word occurs in the text, and links to the verses).
This was a very useful tool for my studies!

I've also noticed that none of the "links" in the program seem to work (Strong's links, or verse links in a search or lexicon).
The font panel doesn't seem to work either. I change the color settings (trying to remove the WHITE background, to make it easier on my eyes) but it doesn't change anything.

Any help for this e-Sword spoiled-PC convert? confused
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Osk at Dec 11, 2009 5:20:10 PM]
[Nov 8, 2009 8:46:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Re: HELP WITH MACSWORD

The biggest thing I find it is lacking is a Concordance of Greek/Hebrew words (along with their english translations, how many times the word occurs in the text, and links to the verses).
This was a very useful tool for my studies!

Not all bible modules have Strong's tags. The KJV for example has. There you can enable to show Strong's numbers beside the word that is tagged. You need however the modules StrongsHebrew and StrongsGreek installed.
Those dictionary modules contain a Strong's number and the english translation/explanation. The Strong's numbers that display in the bible is actually a link that displays the english translation as a tooltip or in the preview panel if enabled.
MacSword doesn't do any statistics but you can search for a Strong's number in a bible module via indexed search and thus you get the number of occurences.

I've also noticed that none of the "links" in the program seem to work (Strong's links, or verse links in a search or lexicon).

What exactly doesn't work here.
Maybe you missed enabling the preview panel or didn't enable "show preview as tooltip" in preferences.

The font panel doesn't seem to work either. I change the color settings (trying to remove the WHITE background, to make it easier on my eyes) but it doesn't change anything.

The Font panel is for changing the font, not the colour.

Any help for this e-Sword spoiled-PC convert? confused

I believe some people use e-sword on Mac using CrossOffice or Wine.
You can also use something like VirtualBox, VMware Fusion or Parallels to run Windows programs.
If MacSword doesn't give you what you want there are also commercial programs like Accordance and Logos which have a lot more functionality.

Regards,
Manfred
[Nov 8, 2009 1:43:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Clerical

United States

The Strong's numbers that display in the bible is actually a link that displays the english translation as a tooltip or in the preview panel if enabled.

I take it these are the links you are talking about.
Yes, when I hover over them, it shows the english translation, but when I click on them nothing happens.
Is something supposed to happen?
If not, I think it would be a great addition to the program if, when these links are clicked, a Concordance module opened with not only the english definition of the word, but how many times the original Hebrew/Greek word occurs in the Bible and links to each verse where it does occur.

What exactly doesn't work here.

These and any other such links do not open when I click on them.
Again, is something supposed to happen?
The cursor changing to a hand leads me to believe something is.

The Font panel is for changing the font, not the colour.

Then why does it offer to change not only the font color, but also the "document color"?
What document is it talking about?

I believe some people use e-sword on Mac using CrossOffice or Wine.
You can also use something like VirtualBox, VMware Fusion or Parallels to run Windows programs.
If MacSword doesn't give you what you want there are also commercial programs like Accordance and Logos which have a lot more functionality.

Crosswire is awful; the others require a copy of windows and you can't switch between each OS without rebooting.

I am aware there are programs like Accordance and Logos;
I'm also aware that Jesus drove out those who used His Father's temple to line their pockets (Mark 11:15)
Logos charges $150.00 (their most inexpensive package) for roughly the same resources Rick Myers (God bless his soul!) and the blessed MacSword developers offer for FREE.
Logos' most expensive pkg is $4,290.00!!!
God will judge them, but I seriously question whether they are more motivated to equip the saints or make $.

"Freely you received, freely give." (Mat 10:8)
[Nov 8, 2009 7:09:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

I take it these are the links you are talking about.
Yes, when I hover over them, it shows the english translation, but when I click on them nothing happens.
Is something supposed to happen?
If not, I think it would be a great addition to the program if, when these links are clicked, a Concordance module opened with not only the english definition of the word, but how many times the original Hebrew/Greek word occurs in the Bible and links to each verse where it does occur.

You need to do right-click->open link.
But it will just open you set Strong's module, nothing more.
The left click is used to display the preview in the preview panel when someone doesn't want to wait the 2 seconds until the tooltip shows.

These and any other such links do not open when I click on them.
Again, is something supposed to happen?
The cursor changing to a hand leads me to believe something is.

See above. But I just realised that when doing "open link" in a dictionary module it tries to open the linked scripture in the dictionary module instead of a bible module.
I'll try to fix this asap.

Then why does it offer to change not only the font color, but also the "document color"?
What document is it talking about?

It is talking about the document where the font is used.
But we don't yet use the colour setting, might take some versions until changing the background is possible.
This is the default Mac OSX Font panel and unfortunately it is not possible to disable the colour menu.

Crosswire is awful; the others require a copy of windows and you can't switch between each OS without rebooting.

I am aware there are programs like Accordance and Logos;
I'm also aware that Jesus drove out those who used His Father's temple to line their pockets (Mark 11:15)
Logos charges $150.00 (their most inexpensive package) for roughly the same resources Rick Myers (God bless his soul!) and the blessed MacSword developers offer for FREE.
Logos' most expensive pkg is $4,290.00!!!
God will judge them, but I seriously question whether they are more motivated to equip the saints or make $.

"Freely you received, freely give." (Mat 10:8)

That is why we are doing this.
But the time we spend is not much compared to many full-time developers working on those commercial packages.

Manfred
[Nov 9, 2009 1:21:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Clerical

United States

I do this for the Strong's numbers which generate next to the words in KJV, scripture references that show up in a search, references in dictionaries, and nothing happens for any of them, whether I left or right click.
Maybe my settings are messed up?
[Nov 9, 2009 4:15:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

I do this for the Strong's numbers which generate next to the words in KJV, scripture references that show up in a search, references in dictionaries, and nothing happens for any of them, whether I left or right click.

Hmm, I don't think this has to do with settings.
You don't get a context menu on right-click anywhere?

Manfred
[Nov 10, 2009 1:11:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Clerical

United States

Manfred

Sorry, I did not word that correctly.
When I right-click, a menu pops up which gives me the option to Open Link, Copy Link, etc.
When I click Open Link, nothing happens.
[Nov 11, 2009 10:51:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Sorry, I did not word that correctly.
When I right-click, a menu pops up which gives me the option to Open Link, Copy Link, etc.
When I click Open Link, nothing happens.

I remember that was a problem in version 2.0.1 or below. Do you use the latest version?

Manfred
[Nov 11, 2009 2:26:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

"Copy link etc.", no, there is not a copy link menu item or such.
It looks like this:

Further you need a Hebrew/Greek Strong's dictionary defined in Preferences.

Manfred
[Nov 12, 2009 3:38:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Clerical

United States

"Copy link etc.", no, there is not a copy link menu item or such.

Yes, there is:

Further you need a Hebrew/Greek Strong's dictionary defined in Preferences.

If you mean these preferences, I do:

[Nov 12, 2009 8:24:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread