mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3167 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Male Johann
Regular

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Total newbie here - any templates for making a commentary module?

Hello,

I'm very new to OSIS in general and am working on converting a commentary so that it can eventually be a Sword module. I found a template for the KJV Bible and that hs been helpful to a point, but it seems that a commentary would be handled quite differently.

Thanks in advance,

John
[Oct 14, 2009 5:19:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

Re: Total newbie here - any templates for making a commentary module?

I'm afraid we don't have any example commentaries in OSIS. I'm sure you've already spotted http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Commentaries, but as it shows, the fundamental difference between Bibles and commentaries is that Bibles use something like:

<verse osisID="Gen.1.1">Blah blah...</verse>

to contain the entries, while commentaries use something like:

<div type="section" annotateType="commentary" annotateRef="Gen.1.1"><p>Blah blah...</p></div>

The contents of these containers can be essentially the same. What makes commentaries significantly different from Bibles is that the basic Bible element (<verse>) takes an osisID to indicate its reference while a commentary's basic element (<div>) takes an annotateRef. OsisIDs must be either single verses or lists of verses, but annotateRefs can be single verses, verse ranges, or lists of verses or ranges. This gives the annotateRef a lot more versatility. It's also possible (in OSIS, though Sword couldn't currently take advantage of this) to have multiple <div>s carry annotateRefs that point to the same verse.
[Oct 15, 2009 12:00:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Johann
Regular

Re: Total newbie here - any templates for making a commentary module?

Thanks!
[Oct 15, 2009 9:27:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread