mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4545 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Male clarval

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
rose Re: MacSword 2 beta announcement

Sorry if that has come up before, but: Is it right that the new MacSword does not recognise the ".swd" modules in the same subdir as the application (in my case: /Applications/Macsword/Modules)? When I try to re-install modules, they are placed in ~/Library/Application Support/Sword, and are split up over subdirs, just as in Linux. I liked the ‘canned’ .swd files much better and the drag and drop installation much maccier. But maybe I'm missing something?

On a related note: Changing the SwordModulePath in the Preferences file does not change anything; but I'd really like to install modules outside my home directory, as that way I can avoid inflating my File Vault (and, really, Bible texts needn't be hidden). Would it be difficult to implement some preference setting for this in the installer (‘install modules globally’ or just: ‘installation path’)?

To not only be negative: the inferface looks really great; I'm looking forward to testing it.

Cheers,
clarval
[Aug 13, 2009 3:22:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Re: MacSword 2 beta announcement

Hi clarval.

Sorry if that has come up before, but: Is it right that the new MacSword does not recognise the ".swd" modules in the same subdir as the application (in my case: /Applications/Macsword/Modules)? When I try to re-install modules, they are placed in ~/Library/Application Support/Sword, and are split up over subdirs, just as in Linux. I liked the ‘canned’ .swd files much better and the drag and drop installation much maccier. But maybe I'm missing something?

The module installer installs to the folder you mentioned.
However the .swd files are still supported. We can extend that to recognize also modules in the application folder. But that is not done at the moment. Only .swd files at
~/Library/Application Support/Sword are recognized.

On a related note: Changing the SwordModulePath in the Preferences file does not change anything; but I'd really like to install modules outside my home directory, as that way I can avoid inflating my File Vault (and, really, Bible texts needn't be hidden). Would it be difficult to implement some preference setting for this in the installer (‘install modules globally’ or just: ‘installation path’)?

That's possible, yes.
I've planed adding multiple user defined module paths in preferences.
Not sure if this will make it into 2.0 however.

To not only be negative: the inferface looks really great; I'm looking forward to testing it.

Thanks.

Manfred
[Aug 13, 2009 7:12:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male clarval

Hi clarval.

…~/Library/Application Support/Sword…

However the .swd files are still supported. We can extend that to recognize also modules in the application folder. But that is not done at the moment. Only .swd files at

Thanks for your patience. I only manage to crash MacSword if I put the Modules in that directory,getting:

13.08.09 17:07:07 [0x0-0x5c05c].org.crosswire.MacSword[954] UTF8Transliterator: ICU: status U_MISSING_RESOURCE_ERROR

Could this be a localisation problem? (Still, the whole Path has no non-ASCII parts!? Deleting the preferences does not help.) Or should I put the .swd files to a subdir? (I feel quite stupid.)

I've planed adding multiple user defined module paths in preferences.
Not sure if this will make it into 2.0 however.

That would be great, thanks!

clarval
[Aug 13, 2009 12:13:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

…~/Library/Application Support/Sword…

Thanks for your patience. I only manage to crash MacSword if I put the Modules in that directory,getting:

13.08.09 17:07:07 [0x0-0x5c05c].org.crosswire.MacSword[954] UTF8Transliterator: ICU: status U_MISSING_RESOURCE_ERROR

Try adding one module after the other and start MacSword after each module.
It looks like there is one (or more) module causing some trouble.

Manfred
[Aug 14, 2009 12:04:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Hi clarval.

Actually that is not correct.
Also modules (.swd) files in the same level as the application are recognized.

Regards,
Manfred
[Aug 16, 2009 4:30:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male clarval

Hi Manfred,

thanks again for your patience.

For me, moving .swd files to the same level as the application (/Applications/MacSword) does nothing, and installing to "~/Library/Application Support" crashes the programme immediately (I tried different modules – one at a time –, including GerHfa2002, Wulfila, KJV, Afr1953).

Cheers,
clarval
[Aug 16, 2009 4:47:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Hi Manfred,

thanks again for your patience.

For me, moving .swd files to the same level as the application (/Applications/MacSword) does nothing, and installing to "~/Library/Application Support" crashes the programme immediately (I tried different modules – one at a time –, including GerHfa2002, Wulfila, KJV, Afr1953).

Right, for some reason the modules at application level are not loaded.
Hmm, need to debug that.
However that neither works in MacSword 1.4.3 here.

If you move away "~/Library/Application Support/Sword" and start MacSword, does it crash?
In that case actually the folder should get created again but MacSword should at least start.

Manfred
[Aug 16, 2009 5:19:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male clarval

Hmm, need to debug that.

For me, MacSword 1 opens the Modules in /Applications/MacSword/Modules (MacSword 1 is at "/Applications/MacSword/MacSword 1.app" since I downloaded MacSword 2β as MacSword.app)

If you move away "~/Library/Application Support/Sword" and start MacSword, does it crash?

It does not crash unless .swd modules are in that directory.

In that case actually the folder should get created again but MacSword should at least start.
Manfred

Indeed, it does.

Cheers,
cv
[Aug 16, 2009 1:11:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Hmm, need to debug that.

For me, MacSword 1 opens the Modules in /Applications/MacSword/Modules (MacSword 1 is at "/Applications/MacSword/MacSword 1.app" since I downloaded MacSword 2β as MacSword.app)

Ok, you have set this as the module path in MacSword preferences.
MacSword 2 has a fix path which is the one in "Application Support".
The reason for this is that we agreed to this path as other applications like BibleDesktop and BibleTime also use this path for module lookup.

Which ones?
Did you try adding one, start MacSword and see if it crashes. If not, put another one in, if yes, move the module out and try another one until it is clear which of the modules are causing trouble.
I'm using .swd modules, too and this is working. The only thing I can imagine is that it is a module that is causing the crash when MacSword is trying to load it.
So we need to find out in your case which one it is.

Regards,
Manfred
[Aug 16, 2009 2:51:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male clarval

confused Re: MacSword 2 beta announcement

Hmm, need to debug that.

Ok, you have set this as the module path in MacSword preferences.

I don't remember doing that; is it possible that this preference was the default some time?

MacSword 2 has a fix path which is the one in "Application Support".
The reason for this is that we agreed to this path as other applications like BibleDesktop and BibleTime also use this path for module lookup.

That sounds reasonable. I haven't tried BibleDesktop and BibleTime – do they also use .swd files, or just the standard unix directory structure? Then it might be a sensible choice to declare .swd deprecated?

Which ones?

Did you try adding one, start MacSword and see if it crashes. If not, put another one in, if yes, move the module out and try another one until it is clear which of the modules are causing trouble.

As I said before:
I tried different modules – one at a time –, including GerHfa2002, Wulfila, KJV, Afr1953).

I think that at least one of these would have to have worked (esp. KJV seems to be quite a classical module)?

I'm using .swd modules, too and this is working. The only thing I can imagine is that it is a module that is causing the crash when MacSword is trying to load it.
So we need to find out in your case which one it is.

It certainly is not a single module. I've just redownloaded the .swd file for KJV and unpacked it freshly to ~/Library/Application Support/Sword – and the programme crashed; sorry. Should I try one of the modules that work for you?

Cheers,
clarval
[Aug 21, 2009 12:07:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread