mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2755 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Male StreetSwordMax

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Fonts and pasting into a document.

Hello:

I have a few questions about fonts...(I'm using 1.9.6.207):

Is there a way to make the font sizes displayed in MacSword correlate to the equivalent font size in a word processor? It seems like I have to select a font size of 18 or so in MacSword to look the same as a font size of about 12 in my word processor (Open Office). But when I paste from MacSword into the word processor document, the size 18 font shows up much larger than what it looked like in MacSword. Using a different front end (alkitab), when I paste into the word processor doc, it pastes as the current font being used in the document. Why is that?

Also, will it be possible later to select a larger font for the tool tip and for the preview window?

Thanks!

Max
[May 13, 2009 10:57:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Re: Fonts and pasting into a document.

Hi Max.

Is there a way to make the font sizes displayed in MacSword correlate to the equivalent font size in a word processor? It seems like I have to select a font size of 18 or so in MacSword to look the same as a font size of about 12 in my word processor (Open Office). But when I paste from MacSword into the word processor document, the size 18 font shows up much larger than what it looked like in MacSword. Using a different front end (alkitab), when I paste into the word processor doc, it pastes as the current font being used in the document. Why is that?

That is because font sizes can differ from font to font.
That means a font size of 18 for Helvetica may not have the same visual size as font size 18 for New Times Roman.
It may also be that you have set a zoom level in OpenOffice that makes the fonts seem larger as they are.

MacSword copies the style information on copy operation. That means the style you have set in MacSword is copied with the text. When pasted somewhere the style is applied to the pasted text. I would say in most cases this is the wanted behaviour.
You could set the same font and size in MacSword which you use in OpenOffice so that you don'T have to change the font/size once you pasted into OpenOffice.

I don't why Alkitab does not do it, maybe because it is not able to copy the styles or it simply doesn't do it.

Also, will it be possible later to select a larger font for the tool tip and for the preview window?

I'm not sure if this is possible for the Tooltip but for the preview panel it is, yes.

Regards,
Manfred
[May 14, 2009 12:08:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male StreetSwordMax

USA

Manfred:

I'm using the same font style for both MacSword and Open Office and the zoom is set to 100% in Open Office. When I set the font in Open Office at 12 and the font in MacSword to 12, the font in Open Office looks like this and the font in MacSword looks like this. . So I have to make the MacSword font about 18 to look the same as a font of 12 using the same style of font in both programs. But when I paste from MacSword to Open Office, the 18 font looks like an actual 18 font. So I guess what I'm saying is that the font in MacSword doesn't seem to be displaying it's true size. It appears in MacSword smaller than it really should be. Unless there is a zoom setting in MacSword?

Also, whenever I try to change the font in a window that shows search results, the only font that is changed is the reference. The rest of the characters, including the searched word in red, remain at a fixed size no matter what I set the font to.

One last thing that I noticed is that now (in build 212) the text/context selection is not working in BibleView.

Thanks for your help.

Max
[May 15, 2009 5:53:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

I'm using the same font style for both MacSword and Open Office and the zoom is set to 100% in Open Office. When I set the font in Open Office at 12 and the font in MacSword to 12, the font in Open Office looks like this and the font in MacSword looks like this. . So I have to make the MacSword font about 18 to look the same as a font of 12 using the same style of font in both programs. But when I paste from MacSword to Open Office, the 18 font looks like an actual 18 font. So I guess what I'm saying is that the font in MacSword doesn't seem to be displaying it's true size. It appears in MacSword smaller than it really should be. Unless there is a zoom setting in MacSword?

Hmm, strange.
OpenOffice and also NeoOffice display the font a bit larger, right. I've noticed that when you set the zoom size to 100% and hold a letter or A4 paper on the screen the real paper is smaller then the 100% zoom factor of OpenOffice.
Here is a screenshot I've taken with four applications: MacSword, TextEdit, Pages and NeoOffice:

The only application that displays the font larger is NeoOffice/OpenOffice although Pages and NeoOffice have 100% zoom factor.
To be honest I don't know why.

As a workaround I would suggest to collect your scriptures and in OpenOffice and set the style for the complete text once you're finished.

Also, whenever I try to change the font in a window that shows search results, the only font that is changed is the reference. The rest of the characters, including the searched word in red, remain at a fixed size no matter what I set the font to.

One last thing that I noticed is that now (in build 212) the text/context selection is not working in BibleView.

Those are bugs, I'll check it, thanks.

Regards,
Manfred
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mdbergmann at May 16, 2009 3:24:25 AM]
[May 16, 2009 3:24:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Also other native word processor applications like Mellel the displayed font size is the same than in MacSword, TextEdit and Pages.

I think, since NeoOffice, OpenOffice are no native Cocoa applications that the problem might be that they do not render the fonts using the default OS wide DPI settings and thus the fonts look different in size.

Manfred
[May 16, 2009 6:25:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male StreetSwordMax

USA

Manfred:

I found an easy workaround...

Open Office has a "Paste Special" command in the Edit menu. In TextEdit, it's called "Paste and Match Style."

When I select this "Paste Special" command it lets me paste what I have copied from MacSword into the document without bringing in the properties of the text as it was displayed in MacSword. This way, the text is pasted using the default properties of the word processor document.

All is well...

Thanks again for your help. I'm enjoying MacSword...

Max
[May 19, 2009 8:07:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

That's great.
Good to know.

Regards,
Manfred
[May 19, 2009 11:30:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread