mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3013 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Male obiswill
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Help with API for VB

I'm a newbie programmer and need some help. I have been working on building my own swordbible project and I've run into a problem. Are the modules for the swordbible encrypted? Because I have been having problems compiling it in my API.

The current problem I'm having is how do I incorporate the Sword API into VB.Net so that it can read the modules which are compressed using the sword API. Currently the software can read the modules which is not compressed,an example is the King James version which is currently displayed in the software.
Currently, the software can download and load all modules in the software. However, for those modules compressed in SWORD format, it cant read the text due to problem above.

Do you know how I can use the SWORD API in vb.net or if there is availble Active X for it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
[Feb 27, 2009 8:41:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    obiswill [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dmsmith
Regular

USA
Re: Help with API for VB

We have a c++ and a java implementation of the engine. (The Java implementation lags the c++ implementation.) These are cross-platform interfaces, working on every OS and not Microsoft specific, as C# and ActiveX would be.

You are welcomed to use either of these.

We have a swig binding to make the C++ frontend somewhat available to other languages. These might be useful.

Regarding compression, we use either Zip or LZSS to compress a "block" held in the index. The file as a whole is not compressed.

Also, that you can read the uncompressed format is not surprising, but there is no guarantee the order of the verses in the dat file. The index, depending on the versification, determines the order. And the format is not guaranteed, and may change at any time (and is with the 1.5.12 release supporting alternate versification.)

I hope this helps and answers your question.

In Him,
DM Smith
[Mar 29, 2009 6:36:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male cbmarsh
Stranger

How does one get the C++ engine? What is called? Is there any documentation available of using the Sword API?
[Oct 4, 2009 3:48:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Please have a look on our wiki page:
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/Main_Page
Or search the history of the forum.

Manfred
[Oct 4, 2009 1:56:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread