mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2505 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Male pzigs
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Stong's Number?

I have noticed that when I use the stong's number on the KJV and click on the number, it brings up the wrong word in Greek. For example in John the "Word" in the first few verses is Logos and the number should be 3056, however the number listed is actually 3588 and it doesn't make sense. I was wondering if there was a fix for this or if anyone has come across this problem. I have the newest version of Macsword and I have a mack book with the latest OS. Help would be nice I use this program often as part of class, so thank you.
[Feb 8, 2009 9:05:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male gichurch
Regular

Re: Stong's Number?

To help you here fouir pieces of information are needed:

1) Which programme are you using?
2) Which dictionary module?
3) Is your KJV module updated
4) which verses are problematic (or are all involved)?
[Feb 9, 2009 12:11:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dmsmith
Regular

USA
Re: Stong's Number?

Translation, sometimes, is not 1 word to 1 word. In some cases a word in Greek is translated into several English words. Other times, several Greek words are translated into one English word. It may be that a Greek phrase is translated into an English phrase. These just represent a few of the nuances of translation that affect the mapping of Strong's Numbers (which represents the original Greek) to the words in the KJV text.

In this case Word is represented by 2 Strong's numbers, 3588 and 3056. I know that MacSword 1.2.x had problems with this construct and would only provide 3588. I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version of MacSword and see if that fixes your problem.

(I am not a MacSword developer or user. I did the latest update to the KJV, though.)
[Feb 17, 2009 7:40:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male jlfmusic

Re: Strong's Number?

This is a bug and it has not been fixed - the "3588 ophelimos" bug that happens when using the KJV with Strong's Greek in Tiger and Jaguar versions of MacSword was never fixed and mdbergmann said that the problem would be fixed in 2.0, which is a Leopard-only version, and that the new release will not be coded for Tiger. So, if you are using Tiger or Jaguar, you are stuck with buggy releases.

What happens is that many of the words are incorrectly followed by a Strong's reference to 3588 ophelimos with the accurate entry number following the colon. If you click on the link, the entry for 3588 will open and you have to manually type in the correct number in the box to get the correct entry for the word.

Since I do a lot of word study using Strong's, it is really time consuming and aggravating that it doesn't work properly because this bug shows up quite frequently. But, it is a free program and, as the old saying goes - you get what you pay for. Although I haven't used them for a while, I don't recall the PC version of Sword or eSword having this problem or any significant bugs in either of them.

The whole software game - whether non-profit, non-commercial, or commercial - is directed at attempting to force people to upgrade to the latest operating system and the latest upgrade for your software - well, enough is enough. Since the program code is getting more and more bulky with added features, security and personal data collection code - requiring more memory to run and ever-faster processors - you take my meaning. Many people are making a lot of money from those who choose to pay for every upgrade and buy new hardware so they can run them.

J.
[Jul 14, 2009 10:04:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Re: Strong's Number?

Hi there.

I have a fix for this 3588 bug in MacSword 1.4 and I would be happy if someone could have a look if it now works correctly.

Regards,
Manfred
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mdbergmann at Sep 29, 2009 2:09:39 AM]
[Sep 29, 2009 2:09:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread