mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3354 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Male explorer716
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
How do I install modules on Ubunbu 8.10?

I am running a PC with Ubuntu 8.10 and I need instructions on how to install the zip modules I downloaded from this site. In your reply, please take into consideration that I am a "newbie".

Thank you in advance.
[Feb 22, 2009 12:55:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

Re: How do I install modules on Ubunbu 8.10?

All of the modules available on this site are available through the module manager inside the program, from the remote source CrossWire. Please use the module manager to install these modules. If you can't for whatever reason, please send a message to gnomesword-users@lists.sourceforge.net asking how to install a zipped module.

Matthew
[Feb 22, 2009 3:33:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male jonmmorgan
Regular

All of the modules available on this site are available through the module manager inside the program, from the remote source CrossWire. Please use the module manager to install these modules. If you can't for whatever reason, please send a message to gnomesword-users@lists.sourceforge.net asking how to install a zipped module.

I'm afraid I don't agree with Matthew, and think that zipped modules are a reasonably important distribution mechanism for all sorts of purposes. Basically, they contain the module contents zipped up, and should be unzipped into the right location. For most purposes, this will be ~/.sword (NB: this will require that you downloaded raw zips - if you didn't, module manager will probably be easier).

mkdir -p ~/.sword
unzip -d ~/.sword <zip file>

should work (create ~/.sword if it doesn't exist, then unzip the module into the ~/.sword directory).
[Feb 23, 2009 5:29:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male gichurch
Regular

Yes, you can install modules the way Jon suggests. It is just not a way we encourage as the module manager is a lot more useful - it will check whether any of your modules are out of date and do a lot of other things too.

For that reason GnomeSword/Xiphos does have a module manager since yonks.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by gichurch at Feb 23, 2009 11:46:57 AM]
[Feb 23, 2009 9:10:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

Jon,

I'm not sure what you're not agreeing with, because I never said (nor do I believe) that zip modules aren't a valid distribution method. It's just better to use the module manager unless there are valid reasons not to.

Matthew
[Mar 11, 2009 8:03:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread