mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3085 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
Male MWMiles
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Website Linking

Hi,

I know that Sword has a built-in protocol that will allow you to add links on a web site and any visitors that are running Sword can click on these Sword protocol links and have their Sword-based Bible program open up to the reference cited in the link. I have zero clue about how this is done. I have been on a site that had it, but it is now down, otherwise I'd play detective and figure this out.

Can anyone here help me get some info on how this works and what the syntax is for this protocol? Do all Sword front-ends use this protocol?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
[Dec 24, 2008 5:02:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Website Linking

This page has a couple of example links: http://www.crosswire.org/~chrislit/testlinks.html

The top link is the format used by Logos. If you have Logos installed, clicking it will open to the appropriate verse in that software. If you don't have Logos installed and you do have The SWORD Project for Windows installed, that will open to the appropriate verse.

The bottom link shows the format used by many Sword front-ends. I couldn't tell you which actually support it, but that page (and thus the format itself) date to around 2001, so they've all had ample opportunity to implement it.

The basic format for Sword's private protocol calls is sword://<module ID>/<key value>. The key value would be a verse reference to a Bible (generally well supported), but could also be other key types (words, dates, etc.) for other module types (dictionaries, daily devotionals, etc.).
[Dec 30, 2008 8:55:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread