mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 21
Posts: 21   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9694 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Male ransom1982
Regular

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Several ideas on how to improve GnomeSword

No one is stopping you. But the process would probably involve scanning in the text and using OCR to try to get the text, then manually editing to make sure everything was correct. I can't say where e-sword is getting their text from. Note that if you do the conversion from public domain to electronic you can claim copyright on the electronic text which is probably what most people have done.
[Dec 9, 2008 5:17:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male jonmmorgan
Regular

Re: Thayer's Lexicon

Might be worth talking to Chris Little about this. I was recently looking at our lexicon support to see if we needed to better it, and was intrigued to find the following in the conf file at Crosswire for Strongs Greek <ftp://ftp.crosswire.org/pub/sword/betaraw/mods.d/strongsgreek.conf>:
History_1.1=now contains Strong's Lexicon instead of Thayer's
[Dec 12, 2008 1:02:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

Q: Is Thayer's public domain?
A: Yes.

Q: Are we talking about Thayer's here?
A: No.

The OLBGRK and OLBHeb lexicons that come with OLB (sometimes translated into other languages) state that they contain definitions from Thayer's and BDB. However, they include other information not present in those lexicons and those lexicons contain information not present in the OLBGRK/OLBHEB modules.

They do appear to include the definitions from Thayer's/BDB but with a bunch of added data and some editorial emendation. And OLBGRK/OLBHEB are definitely copyrighted by Larry Pierce or someone associated with OLB.

Compare the definition in the screenshot of Strong's Greek 5499 (which isn't a designation that Thayer uses) with the entry for the corresponding word in Thayer:

5702 ceiropoi,htoj
ceiropoi,htoj, ceiropoi,hton (cei,r and poie,w), made by the hand i. e. the skill of man (see avceiropoi,htoj): of temples, Mark 14:58; Acts 7:48; 17:24; Heb. 9:11,24; of circumcision, Eph. 2:11. (In the Septuagint of idols; of other things, occasionally in Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon, Polybius, Diodorus.)*

(Note that the Greek text would actually be Greek, but BibleWorks, from which I'm copying this, isn't fully Unicode-ized.)

e-Sword is almost certainly using these texts without permission, as are any websites that claim the text to be public domain.
[Jan 6, 2009 9:48:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male sweeppicker
Stranger

no electronic version is freely available which i can have?
----------------------------------------
pheromones
[Jul 29, 2010 11:25:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

sweetpicker, that has already been answered several times in this thread. No, there is no electronic version freely available.
[Jul 29, 2010 11:53:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male BeYeDoers
Stranger

How about this option, which is available in BibleTime but I can't seem to find it in Xiphos:

when you search a strong's number, the search results highlight the word for you. e.g. if you search for G575, it will return results with "out of" "off" "upon" "from" highlighted within the verse.
[Aug 18, 2010 11:28:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male karl
Regular

When you do any search, the verse preview shows the found words highlighted. Up to the current 3.1.3 release, this turns the found words purple. In the next release, found words will be offset using your high-contrast highlight colors.

For Strong's numbers, this means the actual number is highlighted. If you are searching in Advanced Search, you should check the Attribute tab and make sure that Strong's words are being displayed.
Project Admin, Xiphos
[Aug 19, 2010 9:59:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    karlkleinpaste    karlkleinpaste [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male BeYeDoers
Stranger

Thanks Karl. I see that the English words are highlighted when I search for an English word, but when I search a Strong's number, it is still not highlighted (the word OR the number)
[Aug 19, 2010 10:45:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male karl
Regular

but when I search a Strong's number, it is still not highlighted

Yup, bug. Fixed, 2 lines of code. To be in our next release. Sorry.
Project Admin, Xiphos
[Aug 20, 2010 11:16:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    karlkleinpaste    karlkleinpaste [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JohanMarais
Regular

Good day and thank you for Xiphos.

Is it possible to change the font for the parallel view, I know it is not possible per module. Mine show what looks like Times New Roman, the screen print in the Help File shows another font - I would like to use "Sans".

Thank you,

Johan
[Jan 7, 2011 4:16:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 21   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread