mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 21
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10073 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Male flakzeus

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Several ideas on how to improve GnomeSword

I've grown accustom to SeedMaster in Windows as well has the other people that I study the Bible with but I use Linux and SeedMaster just doesn't cut it for me under WINE. I started using GnomeSword after i was able to convert my NKJV and NIV bibles over to sword modules (which was another ordeal) and for the most part I am pleased. However, there are a few annoyances I have with GnomeSword and I have a few ideas to make it better.

1)With multiple tabs open, I can change the verse in one tab and the rest will follow as I want it to. When I click on another tab, say the KJV tab, it will revert back to Rev 1.1. Now how I got here is, I searched for a word and then clicked the verse in the previewer pane which brought it up in the tab. I then clicked the KJV (deafult is NKJV) and it reverted back. This also brings me the second annoyance/idea.

2)When searching for words, and more along with the results, when a person clicks a verse it will bring it up in the previewer pane which is fine. However, would it be possible to have when a person double clicks the search result verse that it will bring the verse up in the tab. Instead of having to click the search result, then click the verse in the previewer.

3)One thing that really seems to be lacking in GnomeSword is Strong's Concordance. In SeedMaster, the concordance is wonderful, it is very detailed and easy to read. This is not so with GnomeSword. I would love to get the Concordance from SeedMaster converted over to GnomeSword but I can't figure out how to do that.

Thanks for listening.
[Dec 8, 2008 7:18:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

Re: Several ideas on how to improve GnomeSword

First of all, I recommend you join our user's mailing list. We tend to use that more than this forum. Sign up here: GnomeSword Users

1) I can't duplicate this. Could you say which version of GnomeSword you are using?

2) I would like this as well. I suggest you file a feature request at the sourceforge development site. Sourceforge

3) I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Are you referring to the Greek and Hebrew Dictionaries?
[Dec 8, 2008 8:02:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male flakzeus

1)Version 2.4.1 on ArchLinux. I have three tabs open, one for NKJV, one for NIV, and one for KJV with Strong's. My default bible is the NKJV. I'll have to do some more playing with it as I'm having trouble re-producing it now also. I'll sign up for the list shortly.

2)I'll try to do that

3)This is purely cosmetic, but it would be very nice. This is what SeedMaster's Strongs looks like and compared to GnomeSword:

[Dec 8, 2008 8:47:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

3) The difference is that SeedMaster's isn't using Strongs. Instead, they have Thayers Lexicon, which unfortunately is not available for GnomeSword.
[Dec 8, 2008 9:51:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male flakzeus

Ah, I didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing that out. Is there a way to convert it from SeedMaster to Sword? Is it similar to the way I did the NKJ bible?

Thanks.
[Dec 8, 2008 10:18:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male flakzeus

Oh and one more here.

4)I'd like to be able to search by the strongs number. Is that possible?
[Dec 8, 2008 10:19:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

I have no idea on converting. If you have converted other things, then you're the expert!

Searching on strongs numbers: There is information on this in the manual. Unfortunately there are issues using the approach described in the manual when searching KJV. So the best approach is this:

1. Make sure KJV is indexed (read the manual if you are unsure what this is).
2. Click on "Search" in the sidebar.
3. Enter the search like this:

lemma:G5499

for Hebrew (Old Testament)

lemma:H3374

Hope that helps.
[Dec 8, 2008 11:21:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male flakzeus

Thayers is available for eSword freely, is it public domain?
[Dec 8, 2008 4:53:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

Q. Is Thayers public domain?

A. Yes and no :)

The actual text is in the public domain. However, most printings of it are recent and so are copyrighted. The biggest issue, though, is that there is no electronic version of it freely available (that I can find anyway). Any electronic versions are presumably under copyright.
[Dec 8, 2008 7:07:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male flakzeus

I'm not sure if I understand the issue with Thayers. If the text is public domain, what is stopping anyone from making this a module?

I did some Googlin' and it looks like Thayers used to be supported by GnomeSword or at least other Sword projects.

Is the eSword Thayers module not public domain?
[Dec 9, 2008 4:36:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread