mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2557 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Male kwokyinc
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Chinese Bible

Hi,

Recently I have switched from Windows to Ubuntu (I am using Ubuntu 8.10), I would like to try Gnomesword but have problem displaying the Chinese verion of the Bible.

I obtained Gnomesword from "Synaptic" and downloaded the Traditional Chinese Union Bible from the crosswire home page:

http://www.crosswire.org/sword/servlet/SwordM...ame=ChiUn&pkgType=raw

I installed unzip the file according to the instruction:
http://www.crosswire.org/sword/docs/moduleinstall.jsp

Then I opened Gnomesword. Although it shows the Chinese Bible tab on the left panel. When I click on the chapters, the bible text is all blank (only the verse numbers are shown but no text).

I tried the New Chinese Version Traditional and also encounted the same problem.

Any idea how to solve this? Many thanks.

God bless you.

In Christ,
Jimmy
[Nov 23, 2008 4:29:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ransom1982
Regular

Re: Chinese Bible

Jimmy,

Gnomesword has a built-in module manager that I recommend you use if possible. If you can't for whatever reason, then here is how I would install.

Unzip the archive somewhere.
Put the file chiun.conf in ~/.sword/mods.d
Copy the directory chiun to ~/.sword/modules/texts/ztext

Matthew
[Nov 23, 2008 5:32:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male kwokyinc
Stranger

Thanks Matthew

The module manager didn't work. It showed the packages but nothing happened after I clicked applied.

And as I mentioned in my 1st post, I already tried unzipping the files directly but it didn't work either.

The Ubuntu's universe repository contains Bibles of various languages (e.g. even a Vietnamese Bible) but not the Chinese. So perhaps there are problems with using the Chinese Bible in Gnomesword and that's why they didn't put it in the repository.

I guess for now I have to boot into Windows and use E-Sword. (E-Sword in WINE also doesn't work in my Ubuntu. Don't know why)

But thanks anyway.

In Christ,
Jimmy
[Nov 26, 2008 3:45:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ua4ever
Regular

Have you tried Bible Time?
[Nov 27, 2008 5:34:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male kwokyinc
Stranger

No I haven't tried that.

I thought Bible Time is for KDE. Can I use it in Gnome? Apologize if this is a stupid question.

In Christ,
Jimmy
[Nov 27, 2008 2:58:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread