mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4630 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Male gmackay
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
new macsword user

Hi I am totally new to macsword. I have used PC version a lot but can't seem to get it going on my notebook G4 running osx 10.4.
I downloaded the macsword -1.4.2.dmg Then I downloaded a number of module bibles and commentaries Don't really know how to make these work now.
I tried downloading Eloquent which on searching someone suggested doing. But I don't really know what I do with this now. Sorry I am rather green when it comes to this stuff.
Can anyone help. Please make it simple for me
[Sep 9, 2008 12:59:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male cjpirl
Stranger

USA
Re: new macsword user

I'm having a struggle myself. I have used esword on PCs for awhile and love the concept, love the Strong's words with pop-up translation. I am having a very difficult time getting macsword to work. I have downloaded it twice, it stays on my desktop as a server for awhile, I install it and use it, then I re-start and it disappears from my desktop and I have to download it again. Once I even got the Strong's Greek and Hebrew modules to work, but each time I want to use it I have to start over from scratch. I don't get it.
[Sep 14, 2008 4:55:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    jeannemer    jeannemer [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male cjpirl
Stranger

USA

Must add a PS regarding my OS. I am running 10.5.4 on a MacBook laptop that shouldn't have any processor or memory issues.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
[Sep 14, 2008 5:20:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    jeannemer    jeannemer [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Hi.

I will answer to both.

MacSword version 1.4 anf above incliudes an automnatic module installer.
As you might know there are hundreds of modules available for SWORD that is why no module is included in the MacSword download.

Using the Module installer for downloading modules is easy.
Choose "Module installer..." from the main menu.
Select the "CrossWire" install source and refresh it.
When finished, select again and choose your module you want to install by choosing the "Install" task in the "Task" column of the table.
Then click "Process tasks" in the toolbar.
When finihed, the modules should be available in the "Module list" window.

The Eloquent software is a standalone module installer which was meant to use with MacSword version 1.3.x.
MacSword 1.4 however has this included and you don't need it.

Regards,
Manfred
[Sep 16, 2008 1:53:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male gmackay
Stranger

Hi, got the 'Eloquent' module installer open, and I clicked the + for add install source. A box comes up with name host and directory but I'm uncertain what to input in the boxes. What do I put in Name box. The host and directory are grayed out with ftp.crosswire.org in the host one and /pub in the directory one. What do I do with those? Sorry if this is blatantly obvious but I have no idea. I tried various things but nothing seemed to work.
[Sep 18, 2008 2:49:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male cjpirl
Stranger

USA

I simply could not get everything to work properly, so I deleted everything and was going to begin over again (when in doubt uninstall and reinstall, right?). Now the site is down, but when I did a search I found a 2.0 version. What's that about? Anyway, I downloaded it and all the pieces got installed in what seems to be the right folders, but none of it works. Hmm.
[Sep 21, 2008 9:48:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    jeannemer    jeannemer [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

You should stick to the version that is available on:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/macSword and on
http://macsword.com itself.
Versiontracker and MacUpdate is also ok.

Do not download from any other page.
Version 2.0 should not have gone public. Versiontracker and MacUpdate pulled them but I don't know on which pages it has spread automatically.

There is no need in using Eloquent if you are using MacSword 1.4.

I simply could not get everything to work properly

What exactly do you mean with that?

Normally you don't need to delete anything.

Manfred
[Sep 22, 2008 2:13:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Hi, got the 'Eloquent' module installer open, and I clicked the + for add install source. A box comes up with name host and directory but I'm uncertain what to input in the boxes. What do I put in Name box. The host and directory are grayed out with ftp.crosswire.org in the host one and /pub in the directory one. What do I do with those? Sorry if this is blatantly obvious but I have no idea. I tried various things but nothing seemed to work.

Please read my former post.

Manfred
[Sep 22, 2008 2:15:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male coshoctoncountry
Stranger

USA

You should be using the most recent version of MacSword 1.4.3. If not, you can download it at one of the links given in preceding posts. (Eloquent-0.3.0 functionality is built right into MacSword 1.4.3, making this process relatively easy . . . if you know what to do, of course.)

Try the following.

After installing it, open MacSword 1.4.3. You will find under the MacSword menu (on the left of your screen) a line that reads, "MODULE INSTALLER". Select that option. A blank, fairly large "MODULE MANAGER" window will open. Click the bright green "PLUS" icon at top left. A smaller "INSTALL SOURCE WINDOW" opens. In this window, do the following—

Set "TYPE" to "Remote". (FWIW, I think you'll find that this its default.)
For "NAME" enter -----> Crosswire Bible Society
For "HOST" enter -----> ftp.crosswire.org
For "DIRECTORY" enter -----> /pub/sword/raw/

Click "Okay". Now you can do some shopping: it's your turn! Enjoy.

If you have any problems, post again. Thank you.

God bless!
[Oct 5, 2008 3:21:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread