mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2762 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Male Davidy
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Translation for Name of Book

I have downloaded the Chinese module but the combo box drop-down list still display the name of books in English. Is it possible to get the name of books in the translated language because it facilitate lookup say if I read a quoted section in publications and I want to look it up in the program as I don't know its English name.
[Aug 29, 2008 9:43:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dmsmith
Regular

USA
Re: Translation for Name of Book

It would help if you identified which SWORD program you are referring to (e.g. The SWORD Project for Windows, BibleTime, GnomeSword, MacSword, BibleDesktop, ...) As far as I know, none of our front-ends show Bible book names in the language of the publication, but the language of the user.

To see this you can set your computer's locale to the language you wish to see. How to do this differs by operating system (i.e. Mac, Linux, Windows). So consult your manual on how to do this.

As to having the list of names match the module you are looking at, there are some complexities. Most of our front-ends are geared toward viewing Bibles in parallel. In such case, it would be difficult to determine which one language the names should be presented in. Should it be the language of the first bible shown? The most frequent language shown? The language of the user, if there is a Bible in that language being shown? Should all the languages be shown?

Some of the programs are translated into multiple languages. I know that Bible Desktop is translated into both traditional and simplified Chinese. You might find that as a help.
[Sep 2, 2008 7:24:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Davidy
Stranger

I am referring to the SWORD project for Windows. I am aware that none of the front-ends are translated. I am after the name of book in the localised language. For example the book Genesis is 创世纪 in Chinese.

My locale is set to Chinese (HK SAR). After installing the module, the contents were translated alright in parallel but the titles in the combo box still reads Genesis, etc... I thought it would be nice if the titles were translated, as they were just one-liners. But anyway, I will try the other programs to see if they offer this features.

Thank you for your pointers.
[Sep 3, 2008 4:10:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dmsmith
Regular

USA

I am aware that none of the front-ends are translated.

As I said, Bible Desktop is translated into both traditional and simplified Chinese. Bible Desktop runs on Windows (as well as Mac and Linux). This may satisfy your needs.
[Sep 5, 2008 5:10:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Davidy
Stranger

Yes I have tried the Bible Desktop and it offers both the translation of the name of book as well as its contents in Chinese, plus the option to switch back to English. I have previously tried the SWORD project for Windows and e-Sword, Bible Desktop was the only one offering this feature. Thank you.
[Sep 6, 2008 3:16:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread