mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4101 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
Male XenophonJones
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Belarusian Bible for SWORD - I HAVE FILES!!!

I'm looking for a version of the Syomukha (Semukha) translation of the Bible in modern Belarusian for the SWORD project. So far as I am aware, copyright shouldn't be a concern, as I did fairly easily find files for loading it on the BibleQuote program (BQT.ru - nice little program; module development seems to be very active. I hate to say it, but if it ran on Mac OS X, I'd switch from MacSword). Of course, respect for copyright in Russia... Well, you know.
If someone would be good enough to look at or convert the files I have to something usable by SWORD, I can send along an archive; they appear to be nothing more than a collection of HTML files, one file per book, one verse per line with chapter introductions on their own line as well, encoded in Windows Cyrillic. There's a top-level config file as well. I'm not a developer or programmer, so don't ask me any more than that. I've digged and plunged and searched and I can't make sense of the conversion tools and developers resources provided around here (does this "Diaspora" program exist anymore?).
I'd rather be able to open the Syomukha's Belarusian Bible in MacSword than have to boot up Windows XP on VMWare Fusion to run BibleQuote, so if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it. I'm also assuming that if I can get it into SWORD's file format, I'll be able to run the converter to put it on Bible+ for my Palm or eventually get SWORD on the iPhone (what are the plans for iPhone development, anyways?)
[Jul 11, 2008 1:04:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male DFH
Stranger

United Kingdom
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Belarusian Bible for SWORD - I HAVE FILES!!!

I too was able to obtain the files for this Belarusian translation.

My interest was in connection with the possibility to make a Go Bible version from it for use on Java enabled mobile phones.

See this Go Bible Forum topic.

The Syomukha translation is from within the Orthodox community.

More details about the translation and translator are reported in
http://www.privet-minsk.com/Belarusian-Bible.html.

My understanding is that the copyright still belongs de jure to the Syomukha family, that is to Alesya Syomukha, Vasil's daughter.

I have not yet established contact with her. This page may be a useful lead in doing so.

The Belarusian Diaspora in the USA. It gives an email address for her.

I did make a Go Bible port, but for private use only as a feasibility exercise, not for distribution. I am not a Belarusian speaker.

I take the view (as a CrossWire volunteer) that we need to have a formal permission from the copyright owner before we proceed any further.

As soon as progress is made regarding permission, please add this as a Module Request to the CrossWire wiki.

Best regards,

David
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by DFH at Nov 1, 2008 1:26:08 PM]
[Nov 1, 2008 1:08:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread