mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10231 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Male DrMeers
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Albert Barnes' Notes on the OLD TESTAMENT?

I'm using GnomeSword on Ubuntu, and am wondering why there isn't a Barnes Notes on the Old Testament module -- only one for the New Testament? e-Sword has a free "Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible" module which includes both OT and NT (link).

Does anyone know why the Barnes OT Commentary is not available as a SWORD module?

I'm also a software developer, and would be happy to take on this work if it is just a question of someone putting one together. I understand from the FAQ that we're discouraged from converting e-Sword (for example) modules into SWORD ones in case copyright issues are breached -- otherwise I'd have started already.

If it is possible/legal for me to make one, can anyone direct me in the correct way of going about it?
[Jun 9, 2008 5:29:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dmsmith
Regular

USA
Re: Albert Barnes' Notes on the OLD TESTAMENT?

If you can find a quality, authoritative e-text that is unencumbered with copyright or license claims, or you are able to scan one, this would be a good addition.

(By and large, if we don't have it it is because we haven't found such a source.)

If it is encumbered and you can get permission for CrossWire to distribute, that's good too.

The pedigree of the e-text is important. We need to "original". Many times, an e-text is a copy of a copy of a copy..., each with potential changes. Sometimes one of these is encumbered and by implication taints the following.

If you think you have found something worthy, discuss it on the members-only mailing list sword-devel. No sense going to the extra effort if we are able to find out that we can't use it.

Even though we can't use it, you might be able to. We won't provide help on the obtaining of encumbered e-texts. But we can help other wise. Our wiki (http://www.crosswire.org/wiki) has extensive information on how to create modules. If our information is lacking, we'll be glad to improve it.
[Jun 10, 2008 8:07:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

Actually, it looks like we already have a copy in beta: http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModDis...ommentaries&beta=true

I don't recall where it came from or when, but it's there. (The date in the .conf is incorrect--I just set that today because it had none.)
[Jun 12, 2008 10:13:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male authentic8
Stranger

This is a question I have.

I note the full Notes on the Bible text is still not available from the repository.

A beta copy does not appear to exists on the link given also.

Does anyone know why it was not continued?

Thanks.
[Jun 14, 2013 5:31:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread