mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3983 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Male BillyReuben
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Daily Devotional missing days

My church is doing a Bible-in-a-year program, and I would like to turn our notes into a daily devotional module for the Sword program. When I import the module, open BibleDesktop, and select my devotional, I briefly see all of the dates in the window, but then it updates and it skips two days for every day it shows. I see Jan 1, Jan 4, Jan 7, Jan 10, etc -- shows a day, skip two days. If I click on one of the days, it does show the devotional for that day.

My devotional doesn't work at all in GnomeSword.

More technical detail follows:

I used the Day By Day By Grace devotional as an example. I used the mod2imp tool to convert it to imp, so that I could be sure what it was supposed to look like.

To get started and familiarize myself with the process, I created a blank devotional biy.imp file that looks like:
$$$01.01
<p>Today's lesson is...</p>
$$$01.02
$$$01.03
-----
$$$12.30
$$$12.31

I also created a biy.conf file like this:
[BibleInAYear]
DataPath=./modules/lexdict/rawld/devotionals/biy/biy
ModDrv=RawCom
SourceType=OSIS
Lang=en
Version=0.5
Description=Ephesians Commentary (NCTM317) by Geoffrey Bingham
About=Contains: Ephesians
DistributionLicense=Still To Be Negotiated
Encoding=UTF-8

I ran imp2ld biy.imp and it created a biy.idx and a biy.dat. I copied those files to /home/billy/.sword/modules/lexdict/rawld/devotionals/biy/ and I put my biy.conf file in /home/billy/.sword/mods.d/
[Jan 17, 2008 7:12:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male BillyReuben
Stranger

Re: Daily Devotional missing days

sorry, the conf file I posted earlier was incorrect. That should have been:

[BibleInAYear]
DataPath=./modules/lexdict/rawld/devotionals/biy/biy
ModDrv=RawCom
SourceType=ThML
Lang=en
Version=0.5
Description=Bible in a Year
Encoding=UTF-8
[Jan 17, 2008 7:14:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male BillyReuben
Stranger

I've narrowed the problem down to my import process.

I said earlier that I used mod2imp on the Day By Day By Grace devotional and created a dbd.imp.

I followed my earlier process, running imp2ld dbd.imp. The resulting dbd.dat file is identical to the one I downloaded, but the resulting dbd.idx was 2928 bytes compared to the 2196 bytes of the original.

I replaced the original dbd.dat and dbd.idx in my /home/billy/.sword/modules/lexdict/rawld/devotionals/ directory and restarted BibleDesktop, and it is now showing one day and skipping the next two, repeating. It no longer works at all in GnomeSword.

Fortunately I saved a backup, because I like that devotional. smile

So either I'm using the wrong import command or I'm using the import command incorrectly, or there is a bug in the version of mod2imp that I am using.

Oh, I forgot to say what versions I'm using.
Sword: 1.5.9
GnomeSword: 2.2.3
BibleDesktop: 1.0.7

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) those are the versions of Sword and GnomeSword that install from Synaptic. I'm running BibleDesktop from Java WebStart, using JDK 1.6.
[Jan 17, 2008 7:25:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male BillyReuben
Stranger

smile Re: Daily Devotional missing days

Problem Solved!

Instead of
$ imp2ld biy.imp

I should have done
$ imp2ld biy.imp BibleInAYear 2

Skipping days in a devotional is a weird symptom.

Running imp2ld with no arguments gives me a list of options, but I can't find anything that tells me what any of them mean.

Why do I need to use 2 here instead of the default value of 4 to properly build the index? What do 2 and 4 mean?
[Jan 17, 2008 7:59:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

2 vs. 4 indicates whether the length of the text is represented by 2 bytes or 4. If it is 2, no entry can be longer than 64kb. But I would recommend using the compressed module option anyway, which should be z. (Just guessing here, I don't have imp2ld handy.) That will result in a smaller file size.

It looks like you're setting the wrong driver value, as well. RawCom is for commentaries. You need either RawLD, RawLD4, or zLD (for 2, 4, or z options respectively).
[Jan 18, 2008 12:52:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male rlrandallx
Regular

Billy,

I have done exactly what you have. Mine works in BibleCS 1.5.9

I'll send my "1year" version if you write to

RobinLRandall@gmail.com

A problem I have is I can't right click and show a Bible passage unless I show it in the Lex/Dict window, but then I lose the auto daily display. You can't have it all (until they fix the Devotional window.

In His Grace,
Robin
[Jul 20, 2008 1:34:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread