mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4694 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Male yedidyah
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
removing extra characters from Bibletime SUSE 10.0

I use the KJV a great deal in Bibletime but I waste a lot of time removing things like (*) and ¶

I would also appreciate it if my Bibletime would automatically give chapter number and verse number instead of just verse number.

Any ideas?

Yedidyah
----------------------------------------
Every detail in the Bible is there by design.
[Jul 24, 2007 4:47:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    yedidyah49    yedidyah49    304091097 [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male eelik
Regular

Re: removing extra characters from Bibletime SUSE 10.0

Please, tell more exactly what you mean.

I use the KJV a great deal in Bibletime but I waste a lot of time removing things like (*) and ¶

Remove from what?

I would also appreciate it if my Bibletime would automatically give chapter number and verse number instead of just verse number.

Again, when? Where? Why? How?
Read the FAQ! http://www.crosswire.org/faq
[Jul 24, 2007 11:54:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male yedidyah
Stranger

When I click on kmenu -> office -> bible study tool -> close tip of the day -> and the KJV is on the main window. It defaults the following:

6 ¶And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. *
7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day. *
9 ¶And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

I don't want the ¶ and the * coming through when I am looking at Bible texts this is what I want it to look like to save time when preparing a sermon:

1:6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
1:9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

I don't need the ¶ and the *
Every detail in the Bible is there by design.
[Jul 25, 2007 7:33:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    yedidyah49    yedidyah49    304091097 [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dmsmith
Regular

USA

There are no * in the KJV. Perhaps you are using an old version. Or perhaps this is how BibleTime marks words that are not in the original language. In the original KJV text, these were shown in a different font and size. In more recent editions, italics is used.

As to the ¶ markers, those are part of the text of the KJV.

For an image of Genesis 1 in the 1611 version, see:
http://dewey.library.upenn.edu/sceti/printedb...bible&PagePosition=77

You can do this in BibleDesktop. It is available on the View menu.
[Jul 25, 2007 7:41:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male karl
Regular

6 ¶And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. *
I don't want the ¶ and the * coming through when I am looking at Bible texts

"¶" is the mechanism for paragraph demarcation in KJV. This is standard display and has been so for centuries.

"*" is a footnote marker. How you see the content of the note depends on the interface; in GnomeSword, hovering on it shows in the Previewer:

"firmament: Heb. expansion"

That is, a translation note. I don't know if BT has a way to turn off footnote markers. (I'm a GnomeSword user/developer/project admin; GS enables features like footnotes, xrefs, and Strong's data on a per-module basis.)
Project Admin, Xiphos
[Aug 8, 2007 4:03:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    karlkleinpaste    karlkleinpaste [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread