mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8263 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Male dan67sf

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Anyone willing and able to port Sword Reader for Nokia N800?

I have recently bought a Nokia N800, which runs Linux. It uses Maemo/Hildon platform, which I think uses GTK. I think it is a very nice handheld which can do most everything I need for work and home but I currently cannot find a good Bible Reader for it yet.

I was wondering if there is anyone that is willing to port one of the Zaurus Sword Reader packages to work on the N800. I know very little about programing so I would not be able to assist in the programming part, but I would be willing to offer support in other ways.
[Aug 14, 2007 8:20:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ejb

Re: Anyone willing and able to port Sword Reader for Nokia N800?

Send me a Nokia N800 and I will gladly port/create a reader for you!
[Aug 20, 2007 2:05:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dan67sf

I actually do have a spare Nokia N800 that I use for testing for different things. Also you don't need a Nokia N800 to port since there is a full development enviroment for for Linux. The link below has a very good description on how to get a full devlopment enviroment cross compiler working on Linux.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index....g_Maemo_SDK_on_Scratchbox

But if you are serious about porting this to this platform I may be able to loan you a Nokia 770 to test with. I'm not sure if I would be able to convince my wife to let me loan out the N800, but I will think about it.

I am located in the midwest area of the U.S., are you located in the U.S. or elsewhere?
[Aug 27, 2007 5:46:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ejb

I had some free time tonight so I (finally) decided to give maemo/scratchbox a shot. I now have a full development environment complete with the GUI running in an Xnest window.... Shweeet! I'll see if any of the existing sword-based Bible readers "just work". If not I'll start developing my own app but I can't guarantee results or fast progress. It doesn't seem like I'll need to borrow your n770 or n800 yet ;). I'll keep you posted. cool
[Oct 9, 2007 8:56:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male kjc
Stranger

I'm interested in this... I picked up a n770 for cheapie.... I will be trying the SDK/scratchbox, but I can't promise anything. I was unable to get the gnome-sword to Solaris.
Unless something was done and not posted.???
----------------------------------------
'ello
[Oct 17, 2007 7:09:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dan67sf

There is also an ncurses command line called "irenaeus". I use Ubuntu at home and I tried using alien to make a debian package from the rpm and was able to install it on Ubuntu but it does not run. I know there is a command line version of the Bible that someone compiled for me but it has nothing to do with the Sword Project. I know I like the command line interface sometime of the the GUI counterparts. Not sure it irenaeus can be compiled and run the Nokia's but I would think it would be neat.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/irenaeus/"
ttp://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/sourceforge/i/ir/irenaeus/irenaeus-0.15-1.i386.html
[Oct 18, 2007 10:54:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JensG
Regular

With Microjava you can use this: GoBible

Jens Grabner
[Oct 22, 2007 10:26:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dan67sf

With Microjava you can use this: GoBible

Jens Grabner

As far as I know Microjava is mainly for Cell Phones, not the Nokia N800. Also I have a few different ways to read the KJV Bible on the Nokia N800, PDF format a Text format a HTML format a FBReader format and a Command Line format that runs in a Xterminal.

I'm looking for something where I can look up the Strong's definition along with the ability to have commentaries all in the same application.

I think with the OS2008 Chinook that is to be released within the next few weeks I may be able to get Bibletime or one of the others to work as Debian has "armel" CPU, the CPU that the Nokia N800 and N810 use, releases on thier website.
[Nov 9, 2007 6:06:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dan67sf

Getting a little closer. Someone on another forum compiled the base Sword for me for the Nokia's and made a tarball for it. I can now run Diatheke from the command line. It takes awhile to get used to but for me it works pretty well. I know there are GUI frontends to Diatheke and hopefully I will have time this weekend to see if I can get anything more.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11734
[Nov 16, 2007 12:36:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread