mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3243 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
Male mec
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
OSIS Devotionals

Can anyone point me in the direction of an OSIS-formatted devotional module? I started working on converting an online devotional to a Sword module, and was using ThML. After reading several posts about OSIS being the future, I decided to start over, but am having trouble getting markup that looks good in Bible Desktop/BibleTime (the two front-ends I use in Linux). I would like to see a working module, even if it isn't in English, so I can study the syntax. I have seen a couple old posts about people working on devotionals, but the links they provide are no good now and there are no OSIS devotionals (as far as I could find) on Crosswire's ftp site.
Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
[Mar 1, 2007 8:10:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Coburn
Regular

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: OSIS Devotionals

This is an excellent question--one where the answer would clearly benefit others. In particular it seems the developers have not had time to convert all modules to OSIS. Kind of the philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it--especially if you don't have time."

But a person such as yourself might be able to help. There are those Sword utilities that will convert between ThML, .mod, OSIS, and HTML. You could _make_ an OSIS devotional, although there might be some loss of information, just as if you were to convert a CDDA file to MP3 and then convert it to WAV.

With a devotional, though, I doubt if that would be a problem, since it is mostly text plus links. Where the information loss comes in is in the conversion of Scripture modules, with all the differences in rendering textual formatting, that I assume would be lost if you couln't convert directly from ThML to OSIS, but had to go through an intermediate, less-rich format like HTML.

If you haven't already, I would recommend discussing this on the developer lists. Not only would you get help quicker, but you might be able to pitch in and shoulder some of the load on getting OSIS devotionals for all of us. The devs could help you proofread them, etc., and then you could tell us what you found out.

Cool, man

Thanks
[Mar 15, 2007 9:02:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread