mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11576 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Male Coburn
Regular

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
BDB module

Casting my vote for a Brown-Driver-Briggs dictionary as a Sword module.

I've seen where it's been adapted to other free Bible software (not counting e-Sword).

Hopefully all that is needed is some time to put in on it.

I'd be glad to help if my simple skills could be of use.

Thanks
[Jan 4, 2007 4:12:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JensG
Regular

Re: BDB module

The Programm "The Word Version 3.0 " use the BDB.

Jens Grabner
[Jan 22, 2007 7:35:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Coburn
Regular

cool Re: BDB module

Thanks, Jens. That looks like a very good program. It is still in beta and it already has features I fervently wish Sword would use, like dockable windows, Bible text highlighting, and quick-click navigation. Not to mention using SIL Gentium to render polytonic Greek texts. Awesome.

Though I think I will find another way to get BDB. e-Sword is still using it, so it must be an OK version. I have heard some versions are not faithful to the printed text.

Thanks
[Jan 26, 2007 9:12:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

None of the modules that call themselves BDB that work with any of the free or shareware Bible programs are actually BDB. They are all a modified version of the lexicon created by Online Bible.

If you have to have BDB, I would recommend BibleWorks.
[Apr 21, 2007 2:08:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male kemuel
Stranger

Denmark

Actually the whole text is available at

http://www.archive.org/details/hebrewenglishlex00geseuoft

It is in txt and a "scanned image" pdf.. It should be posible to make some kind of sword module out of it..
[Aug 14, 2007 5:23:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male eelik
Regular

Actually the whole text is available at

http://www.archive.org/details/hebrewenglishlex00geseuoft

It is in txt and a "scanned image" pdf.. It should be posible to make some kind of sword module out of it..

Here is a random quote from that (plain text):

of them even to the greatest of them, ib.
in'3"ljn//-0m the proph. cwn to the priest every
one dealeth falsely, Ex 9= s + fiDna *Tjn D1ND
man and beast, n 5 ny , , . njna TOatD

nnaefr -naa, is 15 Nu 6 4 Dt 29' 7*y aero
ax's? ny, Jos s^+ntrK lyi C*ND, i S is 3

(4 pairs), 22 19 i K 5 ' s 2 Ki7 9 = 18*, Is io 18
i*B>a lyi t?MD = both soul a?io! body, Je 9*; after
a word implying a negative = either . . . or Gn
1 4 3 3 1 jn IV 31DD Mer good or evil. The
iy may be repeated, if required : Gn 6 7 D1XD

D'Dpn spjnyi bran *iy nona-iy (so 7 M ), Ex 22*
Jos6 21 Ju is 5 rp] T DII"*^. nDjj-Tjn. ^1?P, 2o 48

i S 30" : without f , Lv 1 1 42 Nu 8 4 . Similar is
the use of p in the idiom (ntSDJ) rfyfDJ n3P. . . J3D
(also n# . . . IF^y]): v. p. 122"; and cf. 2 K
3". c. of time, Gn 46* nny "Jy^ : nj|D /rom
our youth even until now, i S 12* Je 3; Nu

I think the great problem and the reason why this has not already been done is that it's almost impossible to use automatic OCR for that kind of work. BDB uses other ancient glyphs than just Hebrew. The original is so cryptic that manual proofreading is almost impossible, too. The archived text has definitely not been proofread.

If we would like to have this work in electronic format we would need:

1. Good scanned version (maybe better than this).

2. OCR program which could learn all characters used in this work. Including differences in normal/bold, size etc. because they are important!

3. Someone who teaches all those characters to the program.

4. People who could proofread the text. Those people should know several ancient languages or at least should be able to recognize all different glyphs of those languages. Just look at the scanned pages and guess how long it takes to proofread one page. If one man would proofread one page a day it would take more than two years.
----------------------------------------
Read the FAQ! http://www.crosswire.org/faq
[Aug 15, 2007 1:29:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

The Internet Archive also makes their scan sources available for download.

A common way of handling large scanning projects with writing in various scripts is to have non-experts do as much as possible of the Latin proofing and mark non-Latin segments in the process. Then experts can return and fill in the missing bits.

The Germanic Lexicons Project, for example, instructs proofers to just add RUNE for runic text, GREEK for Greek, HEBREW for Hebrew, etc. There would be some need for flexibility with a BDB project since I suspect many non-experts could not identify Syriac vs. Arabic script in the BDB.

Distributed Proofreaders or CCEL would both be potential sites to host and manage such a proofing project.
[Aug 15, 2007 12:15:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread