mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 17
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 17619 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
Male karl
Regular

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Where is the RSV modules?

I would love to have a Bible in plain, modern English that is both accurate and pleasant to read. The versions available now are, for the most part, public domain because they are second-rate or have features of obscure interest, and there is little demand for them.

If you google...

esv "sword project" crosswire beta

...you'll find the soon-to-be-released English Standard Version, which has some reasonable respect. But be aware that it may require the very latest sword environment due to recent changes in the sword libs and therefore some of these newer modules.

Also, you can get NET Bible (in both free [crippled] and for-fee [full] versions) from bible.org.

I'll drop you a note in email about related matters.
----------------------------------------
Project Admin, Xiphos
[Sep 14, 2006 3:52:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    karlkleinpaste    karlkleinpaste [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Coburn
Regular

Number one, I don't mean to seem like I don't appreciate certain versions. Just playing a little Simon Cowell there. To be specific, I'm being blunt, but I don't want to lack gratitude or be unkind. Every Bible has its area of genius.

As far as the RSV goes, a person would have to know where to look ...

For one thing, in ftp.crosswire.org/pub/sword/iso/latest/sword-svn/utilities/diatheke/cgi there are a couple of html files that list public-domain and private Bibles. RSV is listed as private. Like I said at some point, somebody appears to have requested that it be pulled.

Sounds like a case for prayer.

Thanks

PS

<rant> Although it seems a shame in light of our Commission and such, that we should restrict distribution of any Bible... "The Word of God is not bound" and all that. </rant>
[Sep 29, 2006 9:09:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dmsmith
Regular

USA

RSV is under current copyright. CrossWire honors copyrights and if we get a publisher's permission, then we will release the module. If we find that we have a module that is not permitted, it is generally pulled without announcement.

The ESV is in the tradition of the RSV and was based upon it. CrossWire has been granted permission to distribute it and It has been released.
[Oct 17, 2006 9:55:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male PJ
Stranger

This seems to be an old post, but I have the same issue. Having used RSV for a number of years. Now using this software project for the first time - would someone be kind enough to email me the RSV module?
[May 22, 2009 3:39:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dmsmith
Regular

USA

PJ,
We'd prefer to work with the publishers to get their permission. If we worked around copyright and wink-wink, nudge-nudge, gave out copies of what is currently copyrighted (if we had such copies), then we wouldn't get anywhere with them.

We are making headway with some publishers. For example, ESV is available on here, courtesy of Crossway Bible Publishers. While it is not the RSV, it is current (2001) and is based on it.

In Christ,
DM Smith
[May 22, 2009 7:23:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male PJ
Stranger

Ah. Thanks. Makes sense. Do you know where I can purchase a copy then?
[May 24, 2009 6:38:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male abenga
Stranger

If you don't mind reading static HTML online, there is an archive online at:

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/r/rsv/

(I think) it's legal.
[Jul 16, 2009 9:23:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread