mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 15
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 36080 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Male iccnet
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Is Sword for Windows Dead?

I believe wxWidgets is probably robust enough for the job. And since it is cross-platform, a front-end created with wxWidgets could serve on all popular platforms. Including embedded systems. I like the idea of working from the current BibleCS code to achieve the goal of a more feature-rich Windows front-end. Especially with all the knowledge put into the existing code. There are also other wxWidgets front-ends in the works. One mentioned in this thread, BibleStudy, and another is wxSword. I believe combining their efforts with that of what BibleCS already has would be a good marriage IMHO. wxSword's key benefit is the use of the Gecko rendering engine. The real problem I know of at the moment is the Windows version of wxMozilla. It is really problematic on the compile side of life. If that issue were resolved, I think we have a winning combination! Anyway, that's my $.02 :-)

God Bless!
Greg Marine
[Aug 26, 2005 6:40:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male hellings
Stranger

The latest update with the wxSword code is that I have managed to build both wxWidgets and wxMozilla (the Gecko integration). However, now I run into the problem of compiling the sword library under Windows. I'm sure that it's more than possible to compile with MinGW's gcc (indeed, I have done so in the past, albeit the latest version of the library won't build, but 1.5.7 will). However, has anyone had success with building the sword library under Windows using the free MS compilers? I'm not an MS guru, but I've been slowly learning more each day (that's why I love OSS development).

An ability to build the sword library for Windows using Microsoft's tools would allow me to make a first pass at my wx-based interface for Windows sword. Any guidance? Thanks!
[Aug 28, 2005 8:20:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male superkc9
Stranger

Is there going there going to be a release of the windows frontend using the 1.5.8 engine anytime soon?

Relatedly, how could I got about compiling a copy of it myself if there isn't going to be a release soon. I don't have C++ Builder. Is it possible to do with the free command line tools from Borland?

I like Sword a lot and check the site often for updates. Thanks for your work. God bless.

Kevin

Jesus is Lord!
[Nov 20, 2005 9:56:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Coburn
Regular

I hope one of your first priorities is to update the Sword ISO. The latest complete version is late 2003. I use it at work where I can't install Sword, but do have the freedom to use it.

Plus it would be cool to have a link to download this new ISO on the Sword frontpage.

Plus it would be very cool if it included the BibleStudy frontend.biggrin

Plus it would be awesome if I had faster internetconfused wink
[Sep 14, 2006 10:15:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dmsmith
Regular

USA

We have released version 1.5.9 (we skipped 1.5.8) and the CD is to be done next.
[Oct 17, 2006 9:47:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread