mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 15
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 34022 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Male Julian

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Is Sword for Windows Dead?

The last version of Sword for Windows came out almost 1.5 years ago. Is development of this program dead? confused crying Have you considered posting the source to Sourceforge to expose it to a greater number of potential developers? Thx for any updated info. I really love the project and have turned many people onto it, but I've grown concerned about it's status and what will become of it.
[Jan 9, 2005 12:38:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male jansorg
Developer

Re: Is Sword for Windows Dead?

Hi,

the Sword for Windows program is not dead, but development slowed down a lot in it, as you noticed already.
The source code is available in the Subversion repository on Crosswire.

Joachim
[Jan 11, 2005 3:20:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Julian

Slowed down is one word for it. . . .(ok, actually two words, but who's counting, heh). The source doesn't do me a lot of good in that I haven't done any C programming in 15 years (and nothing in that new fangled C++). I'm picking up python though - are there any wrappers for the Sword API in Python? Perhaps that might be a worthwhile project - a cross-platform Python/WxWidgets Sword. Unfortunately I don't know if the WxWidgets platform is robust enough to give us the kind of convenient/awesome/cool GUI that the native windows Sword project has given us - namely, adding tabs on the fly on new module installs, easy and convenient window resizing, etc. It might be gather some steam under Sourceforge though. I do hope that the Sword Project for Windows doesn't become yet another example of "abandonware" . . .sad
[Jan 11, 2005 2:37:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male scribe
Strange

My apologies for the slow release of The SWORD Project for Windows. I don't really use Windows much these days-- really only to play games and work on The SWORD Project for Windows. We're finalizing version 1.5.8 of the engine right now and I hope to have a new release of BibleCS (affectionate internal name) soon after. I'd love some MSWindows enthusiasts to help with this project!

In the mean time, you can post your bugs and feature suggestions to http://crosswire.org/bugs/
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by scribe at Jan 20, 2005 6:44:57 PM]
[Jan 20, 2005 6:42:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    scribe777_2000    scribe777    119107 [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Julian

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know that it's still an active project. I can definitely appreciate the desire the stay away from windoze biggrin , but my practice (unfortunately) uses software that only runs on that platform . . .one day, Linux will rule! Has thought ever been given to doing a cross-platform project using Wxwidgets? Thx again.
[Jan 20, 2005 8:03:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know that it's still an active project. I can definitely appreciate the desire the stay away from windoze biggrin , but my practice (unfortunately) uses software that only runs on that platform . . .one day, Linux will rule! Has thought ever been given to doing a cross-platform project using Wxwidgets? Thx again.

BibleStudy, which uses SWORD, was developed using wxWindows.

However, that doesn't mean we can abandon the Windows platform by not developing specifically for it. The greatest number of users are on Windows and they deserve a native interface, which you can't get with generic cross-platform widgets.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Osk at Jan 21, 2005 10:22:51 PM]
[Jan 21, 2005 10:16:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Julian

Actually, Wxwidgets doesn't use "generic widgets" but is rather a wrapper to each OS's native widgets. Therefore, something developed using Wxwidgets will use native Windoze widgets when run on Windows, native OSX widgets when run on Mac & native Gnome widgets when run on Linux. As it states on the WxWidgets page:
wxWidgets defines a common API across platforms, but uses the native graphical user interface (GUI) on each platform, so your program will take on the native 'look and feel' that users are familiar with.

Where a specific widget is supported on one platform but not another then it emulates the native widget's look & feel. Also, because WxWidgets uses native widgets, they run faster with less object bloat than other cross-platform tools such as GTK+ or QT. Windoze users would feel right at home using a Wxwidgets app. The only question really is whether Wxwidgets is robust enough to perform the kind of layouts that Sword for Windoze does - namely, multi-row tabs, on-the-fly resizing of sub-windows, help pop-ups, etc. Having just started with Wxwidgets myself via WxPython, I can't really give an answer to those questions yet. The app I'm developing is more static in its display than Sword needs to be. . .
[Jan 22, 2005 9:25:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

My point wasn't that wxWindows uses non-native widgets, but that its widgets are generic. They're the most vanilla widgets available--those you're likely to find on every platform and the most basic versions of the widgets available on each platform. The concerns you note about lack of dynamic controls are more along the lines of what I meant (though I believe the things you note are all actually possible in wx).

I've been a long proponent of starting a wx version of Sword, largely for the benefit of non-Windows platforms. But now that MacSword is available and doing a better job on that platform than I think a wx version could, I'm less of a wx zealot. :)
[Jan 22, 2005 10:52:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Julian

biggrin Re: Is Sword for Windows Dead?

Now that Sword engine 1.58 is out in the wild, any chance that we'll see a new Sword for Windoze edition? peace
[Jun 10, 2005 8:17:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

We're considering a release of Sword for Windows 1.5.8 fairly soon, but it would not have many new features itself. (Mostly it would just add all of the new library's features.) Some more extensive development is planned for after the Summer.
[Jun 12, 2005 12:23:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread