mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 46402 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Male Goduser

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
How to install BibleTime in Mandrake 10 (Beginners)

Mandrake is a user-friendly distribution which is good for beginners. Unfortunately it's often too difficult for beginners even to install a program! I learned Linux about half a year ago, so I know it's not easy. I have therefore decided to help those who struggle with the installation of BibleTime.

This is for the beginner. Tested with Mandrake 10.1.

1.) Open Konsole
Press [Alt-F2] and type 'konsole'. Press [enter].

2.) Add RPM media mirrors
In Konsole, type 'su' to go root.

Next, type in these three entries:
urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/mandrake/M...community/i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz 
urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/mandrake/M...munity/i586/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia jpackage ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/mandrake/M...unity/i586/media/jpackage with media_info/hdlist.cz

And wait a few minutes until downloading is finished. These are american mirrors. You can set up your own if you live in Europe (like I do) or somewhere else, with this page:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

In fact, these were created at easyurpmi. If you previously have set up those FTPs, read step three.

3.) Download BibleTime
Type 'urpmi bibletime' in Konsole, then follow the instructions.
To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed (3 MB):
bibletime-1.4.1-3mdk.i586
libsword4-1.5.7a-1mdk.i586
sword-1.5.7a-1mdk.i586
Is it OK? (Y/n)

Type 'Y' to confirm to download BibleTime plus the necessary sword libraries and (perhaps) other dependencies, like curl. There should not be any problem. If there are conflicts, then you might ask someone for help.

Close Konsole.
An easier approach rather than using Konsole for this update procedure, would be to open the run-dialog and run 'drakconf'. When the Mandrake Control Center is up and running you may open the RPM media management database, and add the FTP mirrors manually. (But it's easier to explain the installation process with command line.) To remove erroneous mirrors I recommend using the same Mandrake Control Center, rather than Konsole. You most probably want to add/exchange the FTPs sometime later.

4.) Run BibleTime
Now that BibleTime is installed, search for BibleTime in the start menu, in "More Programs" > "Editors". Run it.

Or, of course, you can enter 'bibletime' in the run dialog.

5.) Download Bible modules
If everything goes correctly, the "Install/Update modules" dialog will appear on screen.

Just click "Connect to source".

Select the Bibles, commentaries and lexicons you would want. I personally would recommend the following below. When you're done, press "OK".
----------------------------------------
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Goduser at Oct 2, 2004 11:38:20 AM]
[Oct 1, 2004 10:07:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Goduser

Continue...

• BiblesThe King James Version (1769) with Strongs Numbers and Morphology is installed by default.English: YLT - Young's Literal Translation (1898)Greek, Ancient: TR - Textus Receptus (1550/1894) - The "Received Text".And you most probably want a Hebrew Old Testament!
  • BooksJosephus - Josephus: The Complete Works (History which confirms the Bible)
  • CommentariesWesley - John Wesley's Notes on the BibleRWP - Robertson's Word Pictures (For studying in Greek)TSK - Treasuary of Scriptural Knowledge (Useful scripture cross-references)And personal notes (see below):Personal - Personal Commentary
  • Lexicons, English:Easton - Easton's Bible DictionaryHitchcock - Hitchcock's Bible Names DictionaryStrongsGreek - Strong's Greek Bible DictionaryStrongsHebrew - Strong's Hebrew Bible DictionaryAnd maybe this one:Torrey - R. A. Torrey's New Topical Textbook

Of course you can download Bible modules later at any time you would want. (Press 'F4' in BibleTime!)
- - -
Then, you're done!!

- - -
What about the personal notes? How do you create your own notes? Firstly, download "Personal" in the commentaries subsection in the installation manager (if you don't already have!). Next, right click the module in the list-tree on the left side, and choose 'Edit'.

I've tested this installation process so I hope it will work for you too. God bless you! Thank you for reading this. And I hope BibleTime will be of great use for everyone everywere on planet earth.
[Oct 1, 2004 10:23:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male brunogr
Stranger

Re: Continue...

Thank you very much Goduser.
I have installed as you say,
however Bibletimes crashes when I start it.

In the task bar, the bar has a sand timer that lasts for a while,
then the bar disappears and the programs never really starts.

If I start it in a console, I get the following error message :
bibletime: Symbol `_ZTI10QPopupMenu' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
bibletime: Symbol `_ZTI7QWidget' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
bibletime: Symbol `_ZTIN6KParts4PartE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
bibletime: Symbol `_ZTI8KPrinter' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
bibletime: Symbol `_ZTI11KMainWindow' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
bibletime: Symbol `_ZTI12KApplication' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
bibletime: Symbol `_ZTIN6KParts8PartBaseE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
bibletime: relocation error: /usr/lib/libsword.so.4: symbol _ZNSt15_List_node_base4hookEPS_, version GLIBCXX_3.4 not de fined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference

Do you have an idea of what may be wrong? Maybe something has changed on one of the servers?

Thank you,
brunogr
[Oct 14, 2004 11:16:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male brunogr
Stranger

I have uninstalled bibletime
and when reinstalling it I have this message (I can remember having it last time) :

L'installation a échoué, il manque des fichiers :
urpmi.addmedia jpackage ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/mandrake/M...unity/i586/media/jpackage with media_info/hdlist.cz

So I guess something must have gone wrong with the servers.
[Oct 14, 2004 11:24:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Goduser

Sorry, I can't help you with that error message problem. If the servers are outdated, then you can set up your own using Mandrake Control Center and http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

The jpackage mirror is not necessary. You only need contrib, I believe.

If you have some problems with urpmi, you can download the packages here:

Then run and install them, open 'konsole', cd to the download-directory and run:
rpm -i bibletime-1.4.1-3mdk.i586.rpm libsword4-1.5.7a-1mdk.i586.rpm sword-1.5.7a-1mdk.i586.rpm[/quote]

And hopefully it will work for you!
To uninstall, use 'urpme', 'rpm -e', or Mandrake Control Center.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Goduser at Oct 20, 2004 6:56:06 AM]
[Oct 19, 2004 10:09:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male dnipro
Regular

Re: How to install BibleTime in Mandrake 10 (Beginners)

I have bibletime installed correctly ! Thanks to all for helps ! It was usefull
Nevertheless, I would like now a frensh version : The menu is in english. For me that is ok but for most people in my country this is not acceptable and usable.

Do you have it ? How to install it ?
=============================================
Christian radio and television portal
http://www.e-radiotv.org/en
[Dec 4, 2004 7:37:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread