mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4518 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Male hermeneutes
Regular

Poland
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
The Sword Project for Windows - what was it made with?

I was thinking about trying to work with the Sword Project for Windows source code. But before I decide to do that (if at all), I'd like to ask:

1) What is that programming language in which The Sword Project for Windows was written?

2) What compiler did you use / recommend using to compile The Sword Project on Windows correctly?

3) What is the text control that is used to display the Bible text ( I guess it is used in other panes, too. I am asking because all Polish characters are displayed alright, except one - it is , or if you can't get it displayed correctly: ANSI 0241, or Unicode (decimal) 324 (x0144). The character is similar to the correct polish character, but very thin, as if taken from a different font.

4) Yet another thing is that if I put the mouse pointer over a hyperlinked verse reference, the verse is displayed in a popup window with a very thick black border which looks ugly, at least to me.

Best Regards,

Piotr
[Jun 28, 2004 2:32:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    syntaxpb    217079784 [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

Re: The Sword Project for Windows - what was it made with?

I was thinking about trying to work with the Sword Project for Windows source code. But before I decide to do that (if at all), I'd like to ask:

1) What is that programming language in which The Sword Project for Windows was written?

Sword is written in C/C++ and The SWORD Project for Windows is written in C++.
2) What compiler did you use / recommend using to compile The Sword Project on Windows correctly?

Compiling the SWORD Project for Windows requires Borland C++ Builder 5 or 6.
3) What is the text control that is used to display the Bible text ( I guess it is used in other panes, too. I am asking because all Polish characters are displayed alright, except one - it is, or if you can't get it displayed correctly: ANSI 0241, or Unicode (decimal) 324 (x0144). The character is similar to the correct polish character, but very thin, as if taken from a different font.

We render with an RTF control. If there are problems with rendering, it is unlikely that it is the fault of the library or the control.
[Jun 30, 2004 11:29:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Ingo
Regular

Poland

Piotr: you will find a lot of very useful remarks on the sword devel mailing list - it is really worthy to spend some time reading it:
http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/

(but... I did't manage to build Sword - I 've had an idea that using BCB is just as complicated as using coffee machine, but it is not! - the manual is much more thick - so if you succeed making your build, please let me know, I can help translating the source into polish).

In Christ,

Ingo
----------------------------------------
Ps 1:1-2
[Jul 1, 2004 3:22:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Darius

Brazil

there's no need to translate the source code; if you want a polish translation of the software, all you've got to do is to create the proper .conf files (I suggest naming the file as "po.conf") at \CrossWire\The SWORD Project\locales.d and at \CrossWire\The SWORD Project\uilocales.d (the former for the Bible's books names & name of language; the latter for software menus & context menus)...

Just open one of the other .conf files at the notepad... for the korean translation I'm working on, I've used as base the pt_br.conf file, for instance...
[Jul 3, 2004 7:16:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Ingo
Regular

Poland

Darius:))

We have polish .conf files (corrected, with some additional features like "back" gif etc.). Those corrected files are located at
http://sword.strona.pl/downloads/polskieUstawienia.zip

We've encouraged to put them on the official site of the CrossWire, but with no effect - alike polish public domain Bible module:( (maybe there are some special procedures? - I don't know).

This, however, doesn't solve all problems - only a few sentences are prone to such a way of translating. There are many options which are always in english, submenus, install manager, help etc.etc.

So the best way to make a complete translation is to do it on the code level.
We would do it half a year ago, but we don't have a single guy who'd know programming. Only MDs, PhDs and other lamers... Once we are able to make a build, we translate the code.

In Christ,

Ingo
[Jul 4, 2004 1:21:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Darius

Brazil

This, however, doesn't solve all problems - only a few sentences are prone to such a way of translating. There are many options which are always in english, submenus, install manager, help etc.etc.

...yeah, I have only noticed that after I finished the .conf files... tsc... Well, then I wish you good luck with the source translation (when it comes)...

...but it is indeed strange that the mantainers haven't added the polish resources...

Is there any special reason for that? Osk?
[Jul 17, 2004 6:26:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Ingo
Regular

Poland

strange that the mantainers haven't added the polish resources...

Choosing "Options>Preferences>Language" and setting "Language" to any other than english you will see exactly the same: all things necessary to understand the program are translated (names of the books, most options).
But details remain in english (just try to set "german" or "russian" and run Install manager; or click in the "Parallel" Bible texts window).
This is just cosmetics and IMHO can be done by some "Sword-fans":)

Best regards
[Jul 19, 2004 2:59:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Ingo
Regular

Poland

I did't manage to build Sword - I 've had an idea that using BCB is just as complicated as using coffee machine, but it is not! (etc.)

Things change...
It seems to be a bit like coffee-machine today: I just got my build of sword.exe using BCB6. biggrin

It took me abt. 3 hrs. (source downloads, Tortoise and BCB6 installation, building). I followed strictly advice of Krzysztof Bialas expressed yesterday on the developers mailing list (it has public archives).

In Christ,

Ingo
[Apr 14, 2005 9:24:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread