mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4800 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Male munchgreeble
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Bug Report - Strong's Numbers missing from some books

I had to reinstall Sword recently, after a machine upgrade, and since then I've found that several books are missing Strong's numbers. I really value this feature of Sword, it would be great to get it fixed.

Please can others check if their Strong's numbers are working, and if possible, post their cofiguration to aid the guys doing the debugging. Ta. (to get you system details, on Windows, right click "My Computer", then click "Properties"; on Linux/Unix boxes type "uname -a"),.

The whole OT seems fine (not that I've checked every single chapter!)
NT books that DON'T have Strong's numbers:

• Matthew
  • Acts from chapter 6 onwards
  • Romans from chapter 8 onwards
  • 1 Cor
  • 2 Cor
  • Eph
  • Phil
  • Philemon
  • Hebrews from chapter 11 onward
  • James
  • 1 Pet
  • 2 Pet
  • 1 John from the 2nd verse of chapter three onwards
  • 2 John
  • Revalation, 7:2 onwards

Ta. Blessings =)

Munch
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Osk at May 26, 2004 12:24:43 PM]
[May 25, 2004 1:27:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

Re: Bug Report - Strong's Numbers missing from some books

Just update your KJV module. You're still using the unfinished version.
[May 26, 2004 12:25:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male munchgreeble
Stranger

Hi there, thanks for the replly.

So I opened up Tools->Install Manager delete the old KJV and install it again, only to find I have (slightly) worse problems than before, so I go to the website and read the KJV documentation and it says I need to have Sword 1.5.6 to use it! So now I've uninstalled sword 1.5.5a, which is what I had previously and I'm downloading 1.5.6 - actually, I think I did include the Sword version number in my original post, just in case this was salient information, but it seems to have been "edited" away by somebody... ;-)

On a related note, am I right in thinking that the version of KJV I had before (i.e. a couple of years ago) had full strong's numbers? If that's the case, why did you release a half finished upgrade, without marking it as such? This is what we call an "alpha" release, which you would only normally release internally for testing purposes, or on a limited basis to those heavily involved in testing. Then when you've completed it, you release a "beta" version, which you distribute more widely, but still isn't your main release (that's to say the default download is still the last "stable" version - in our case the last version with full strong's numbers), after you think all the mistakes have been picked up in the beta release you issue release candidtate 1, which is to say "we expect to be replacing the current stable release with this one, so shout now if you want anything changed". If any more corrections come to light, you make them, and call the next iteration "release candidate 2", you repeat this until finally there are no mistakes found, and then, and only then, do you replace you previous stable version with the shiny new one. It looks like you moved over to the new one at alpha stage, which is waaaaaay to early.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for all your work

Love in Christ

Munch

PS just downloaded the flash cards program - nice little java app that! At just 100k you could even embed it in a web page =) It doesn't say what version of Java you need to run it though, and it might be nice to put in a link to sun.java.com for those who don't have java installed - just a thought =)
[Jun 25, 2004 3:06:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male munchgreeble
Stranger

Bad news I'm afraid, the 1.5.6 download has finished and the KJV text that comes with it (I downloaded the one that comes with KJV) still has large sections with no Strong's numbers, certainly the gospels are missing almost all of them!

Matthew has none
Mark OK, for the first three chapters, then none
Luke OK, for the first chapter, then none
John OK, for the first chapter, then none except for the first few verses of chapter 15!

The rest of the NT looks OK, but haven't checked thoroughly - this part at least is an improvement - thanks

I'm assuming the OT is still OK!

Thanks for all the work you're putting in, but please don't release stuff until it's finished and stable! Or rather please release it separately, don't replace the main release!

Do we have an ETA on this being sorted out? The way the KJV page reads, there's no clue it's not complete =(

Hoping we can sort this out - praying for you =)

Love

Munch
[Jun 25, 2004 3:48:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male munchgreeble
Stranger

OK, great news! I deleted the KJV from my new Sword install, and reinstalled it (the KJV, not the whole sword project), and now I seem to have full strong's numbers, and of course the associated tags =)

...so what this means is, you have an out of date version of the KJV bundled with the 1.5.6 Sword download. My guess is that it's whatever version was current when 1.5.6 got realeased? Anyway, I guess it needs fixing =)

Love in Christ

Munch
[Jun 26, 2004 1:27:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread