mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Closed
Total posts in this thread: 64
Posts: 64   Pages: 7   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 42344 times and has 63 replies Next Thread
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Re: New Name Voting

Absolutely. I'll end the name vote herewith and make preparations for the rename.

Manfred
[Sep 19, 2011 1:30:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male lightman
Stranger

I think a new vote with iSword and Biblia is a rich idea.
[Sep 20, 2011 7:59:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

It seems like my warning against choosing "Biblia" is going ignored. I need to very seriously warn you against using "Biblia" as a name for Bible software.

Manfred, as you have observed, Logos has a registered trademark on "Biblia.com". Trademarks protect companies with particular marks (e.g. words/names, illustrations, and phrases) from attempts by 3rd parties to use identical or similar marks within the same trade. Logos is very obviously within the same trade, and is even within the same very narrowly described "Bible software" trade.

I don't see how there could be any question that changing the name of Eloquent to Biblia would constitute trademark infringement, and willful infringement at that, since you're aware of Logos' trademark. Were they to choose to do so, Logos would have an easy time of compelling you to change the name yet again to something else (and could also certainly seek monetary damages and/or attorney's fees).

Ignoring trademarks altogether, what is the benefit of using a name that is already in use for a different product? People searching for your software will likely go to Biblia.com instead. There would be no hope of ever getting the domain name Biblia.com. It's doubtful your website would be one of the top results for a google search soon, if ever.
[Sep 21, 2011 6:23:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JohanMarais
Regular

MyScriptures +2
[Sep 21, 2011 7:40:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male niccarter
Veteran

Australia

Taking on what Osk has said, and others about Biblica Phanera being too long, I suggest starting over and looking for names without the "My" or "i" prefix. As a Mac user for over 10 years now, I am at the point where if I see an app with the prefix "i" and it's not made by Apple, I don't even give it a go, assuming it's just trying to jump on the bandwagon and has had very little thought go into it. As we all know, MacSword/Eloquent has been around for yonks and has had a lot of time and thought go into it, so it doesn't fit into that type of app! So, I would suggest sticking away from using that suffix.

I would hold to apps having the "My" prefix as being in the same boat. That's just my thoughts, but I'm struggling to recall of any *quality* OS X apps out there that start with the "i" that aren't made by Apple. (actually, looking at all the user-installed apps I have on my Mac, 4 of the 120 of them start with "i" and I don't use any of them, having simply installed them for interest a long time ago.)

I hope that helps?
----------------------------------------
PocketSword Developer
http://twitter.com/PocketSword
[Sep 22, 2011 3:46:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male revision29
Stranger

What was wrong with MacSword?
[Sep 22, 2011 7:03:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male cottager
Regular

USA

too bad Biblia is used. So forgive me but I'll brainstorm more:

Biblux (lux="light")

Scriptorum

Codex (book)

Thank you for working on this great software!
[Sep 22, 2011 5:32:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

What was wrong with MacSword?

apps with "Mac" as part of the name aren't allowed on the Mac App Store. It seems they can say "for Mac", but not like with MacSword, have it integrated. So, if we want the app on the Mac Store, the name has to go.

That said, is the license for the MAS compatible with the OpenSource license of the Sword Project? I know there have been some rumblings about PocketSword (and they seem to be compatible), but I don't have the expertise to know...

-Jon
[Sep 22, 2011 10:45:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ghoussney
Stranger

USA

iSword is my choice.
[Sep 22, 2011 11:52:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male niccarter
Veteran

Australia

That said, is the license for the MAS compatible with the OpenSource license of the Sword Project? I know there have been some rumblings about PocketSword (and they seem to be compatible), but I don't have the expertise to know...
-Jon

Besides RMS, I believe the rest of the world is generally happy with GPL and the Apple App Stores. ;)
----------------------------------------
PocketSword Developer
http://twitter.com/PocketSword
[Sep 23, 2011 5:46:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 64   Pages: 7   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread