mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 18
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13264 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
Male vonFrehn

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: lack of free german bible translation

Br. Joachim's last post reminded me what this thread was originally about.

Willi, if you are thinking about starting a new Bible version from scratch, I'll be happy to help, however I can. I am not that well-versed in Hebrew or Greek, and German is not my Muttersprache (although I do hold a M.A. in the language), but I am willing to contribute however I'd be helpful.

jth
[May 6, 2004 10:51:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male willi

Switzerland
rose Re: lack of free german bible translation

jansorg:
If people reject BibleTime because it supports locked modules which are not even shipped by default but have to be bought from the publisher then it's their problem.
You are completely right here - but: --> this just leaves the end user with the problem of not having something useful (<-- this might be a little exaggerated)

The problem is more subtle: In distributions, BibleTime gets rejected (better: considered less useful) because of the lack of a "suitable" module - and the users don't start to use it, just out of the same reason. That was the spark that got me started.

Anyway - good luck for you, for your talks with Brunnen-Verlag. I probably had some other publisher on my mind.

willi ...
[May 7, 2004 9:40:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male willi

Switzerland

vonFrehn:
(although I do hold a M.A. in the language),
well in that case you're actually better qualified than I am! --> it is my mothertongue but I don't hold any A's in that language wink (not even any B's...)

I do have a quite old DOS program, but AFAIK the (not very good) translation was from some english bible or so. I need to check this. I'll contact you via mail about your project

willi ...
[May 7, 2004 9:48:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male PhyshBourne
Stranger

I have the ASCII-Text of Luther 1984 on my HD.
Any chance of importing it to (Mac)Sword?
Hoffnung fuer alle is also an excellent new translation.
AFAIK you get no problems with the copyrights when you type the whole text by yourself…
[Dec 2, 2008 9:02:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Hi.

I think we have quite some german bible modules available.
The Luther 1984 is still under copyright and typing the whole text is not really an option if this would free from the copyright at all.

We have the Luther 1912 in our beta repository which you can try.

Manfred
[Dec 2, 2008 9:20:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male gichurch
Regular

AFAIK you get no problems with the copyrights when you type the whole text by yourself…

That is a total and complete failure to understand copyright law.
[Dec 7, 2008 11:17:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male PhyshBourne
Stranger

Honestly - I never understood how bibletexts can be under any copyrights respectively copright laws!
I remember Matthew 10,8, where Jesus says: "Freely you have received, freely give!"
The word of the Living G-d must be free to everybody!

't seems I'm gettin' old - the modern world with all these copyright laws… when I used to be young they weren't worth a tinker's dam!
*sigh!*
The times they are achangin'…!
[Dec 7, 2008 8:51:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male gichurch
Regular

Honestly - I never understood how bibletexts can be under any copyrights respectively copright laws!

One can argue about these things. And a fair number of Bible translators will explicitely waive a number of copyright provisions. But as it stands, a translation is under copyright and that is what we need to respect.
[Dec 8, 2008 5:36:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread