mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 27658 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Name complaints

Hi.

Some people complained about the name "Eloquent".
I'll be willing to rename it once more.
What do you think about it?
We could collect some suggestions in this thread which we then could vote over.
"MacSword" unfortunately is a name which Apple doesn't accept in the AppStore where I've planed to put the application eventually.

Manfred
[Aug 10, 2011 4:12:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male chasm
Regular

USA
Re: Name complaints

Some random ideas:

iSword (similar to eSword)
Holy Bible (Simple and to the point; might be confused with an iOS App by the same name)
Biblia (Greek for "books")
Tome
Sword of the Spirit (There used to be an old Classic OS program by that name)
Enchiridion (Late Latin term for a manual or instruction book)
eStudie (based on "estudie" which is the Old French root of the word, "Study")
----------------------------------------
<this signature intentionally left blank>
[Aug 10, 2011 7:09:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Geek [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

I think keeping "sword" in the name is something to strive for. Is MySword taken?

-Jon
[Aug 11, 2011 4:51:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

Oops. Quick Google check shows apps already for iSword and MySword (first is Mac, second Android).

I _am_ seeing, though, on the Mac App Store, "bla bla for Mac". So how about Project Sword for Mac? It's a bit long, so Sword could be the short name
[Aug 11, 2011 5:07:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

This iSword project:
http://code.google.com/p/isword/
seems to be abandoned. I think we could ask him whether we can use the name.

The other iSword project:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/isword
seems to be abandoned as well.

@JonGI
why do you think that "sword" should be part of the name?
We have many application at Crosswire which do not have "sword" in their name. We all know what this "sword" means but many people who do not know the bible seem to get a wrong impression of it.

The name should be short and concise. Tome, iTome or MyTome wouldn't be bad I think.

Manfred
[Aug 12, 2011 12:08:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

This iSword project:
http://code.google.com/p/isword/
seems to be abandoned. I think we could ask him whether we can use the name.

Can't hurt to ask, eh?

@JonGI
why do you think that "sword" should be part of the name?
We have many application at Crosswire which do not have "sword" in their name. We all know what this "sword" means but many people who do not know the bible seem to get a wrong impression of it.

My thinking, which I guess I presumed people would think, is that the Sword Project, being the technology which makes all this possible, sometimes gets left behind, and people don't realize the wealth of resources behind the software. A direct link in the name, it would seem to me, would be direct link to the hard work of the people on the Sword project. I know that the original "MacSword" name was vital in my hooking into the rest of the Sword Project.

As to wrong impressions... well, anybody searching for Bible software is going to understand that part of it. Scriptures are the Sword of the Spirit. God chose that name. Why be ashamed of it because somebody chooses to get offended? A person who's going to choose to get offended over the word "sword" is going to find something else to get offended by, if not that word. God's Word itself is offensive to people today--not because it's so bad, but because people are bad. If we retreat from names that God Himself has given to His word, those people have already won, because we have retreated. (The word "Bible" offends people, I've discovered, as does "Holy Scriptures"--and especially the word "Christian" offends people. Where do we stop?)

The name should be short and concise. Tome, iTome or MyTome wouldn't be bad I think.

I'm just adding more ruminations to this subject... ...I find obtuse, catchy names to be a greater hindrance than short, or even longer, descriptive names. For instance, "Accordance"--what exactly does that mean? It doesn't help a potential buyer, especially on a place like the app store, where people are most likely to be looking for the word "bible" or "scripture". In this regard, "sword" can either help or hurt--help, if somebody, like me, is looking for a Mac-compatible Project Sword app (hence my suggestion for Project Sword for Mac), but hurt if someone is looking for "bible" or worse, looking for some medieval role-playing game. ;-)

And in retrospect, anything beginning with "i" is probably going to get lost. ;-) I therefore withdraw my suggestions for my i-whatever names. ;-)

Some dumb ideas:
MyScripture?
Sword of the Spirit?
WordSower?
Beautiful Feet?

This isn't easy. ;-)

-Jon
[Aug 12, 2011 12:53:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male jonmmorgan
Regular

From my point of view, there are two main problems with the name "SWORD":
1. It is more difficult to search for, since it gets confused with completely unrelated things by Google.

2. It gets confused with other applications with the SWORD name (particularly e-Sword). I know a lot of people would think MacSword was e-Sword for the Mac, and ask why there books weren't working. [In justice, SWORD was first, but that doesn't really matter since e-Sword is better known].

Both of those are problems for Christians, not non-Christians.
[Aug 14, 2011 12:19:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

From my point of view, there are two main problems with the name "SWORD":
1. It is more difficult to search for, since it gets confused with completely unrelated things by Google.

2. It gets confused with other applications with the SWORD name (particularly e-Sword). I know a lot of people would think MacSword was e-Sword for the Mac, and ask why there books weren't working. [In justice, SWORD was first, but that doesn't really matter since e-Sword is better known].

Right, search ability is a problem and name mix-up with e-Sword.

Manfred
[Aug 15, 2011 12:40:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

My thinking, which I guess I presumed people would think, is that the Sword Project, being the technology which makes all this possible, sometimes gets left behind, and people don't realize the wealth of resources behind the software. A direct link in the name, it would seem to me, would be direct link to the hard work of the people on the Sword project. I know that the original "MacSword" name was vital in my hooking into the rest of the Sword Project.

A direct link in the name would be a direct connection to the Sword Project, and that would be a good thing. But there are a few problems.
I would think that if the Sword Project is listed as first item in the About dialog and on the web page it should be possible to make the connection.

As to wrong impressions... well, anybody searching for Bible software is going to understand that part of it. Scriptures are the Sword of the Spirit. God chose that name. Why be ashamed of it because somebody chooses to get offended? A person who's going to choose to get offended over the word "sword" is going to find something else to get offended by, if not that word. God's Word itself is offensive to people today--not because it's so bad, but because people are bad. If we retreat from names that God Himself has given to His word, those people have already won, because we have retreated. (The word "Bible" offends people, I've discovered, as does "Holy Scriptures"--and especially the word "Christian" offends people. Where do we stop?)

You're absolutely right.
However, I didn't actually mean that somebody might get offended but to hinder someone from using this utility and from reading the bible. Some might connect the "Sword" with the crusades or whatever they don't like about Christianity.
I don't want the word "Sword" to be a barrier for people that don't know the meaning as God uses it in the bible for the Sword of the Spirit.

Manfred
[Aug 15, 2011 12:56:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

I almost hate to suggest this, but the domain iScripture seems to be dead.

And here's a dumb one Godsword. Change the caps: GodsWord or GodSword... yeah, it's dumb, but maybe spur someone on to something better.

I'm personally trying to come up with names using the word "Scripture" over "Bible", but it's not easy!

Have there been any other name ideas?

-Jon
[Aug 18, 2011 3:06:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread