mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1231 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Male gto49
Stranger

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
shock Searching?

I'm new to Eloquent, and I've figured out how to install various modules (Bibles, Commentaries, etc.) but I can't figure out for the life of me how to search. Where do you enter the search criteria, words or phrases? I can pull up a chapter (e.g. Gen 1) but I want to search the OT or NT for a phrase contained in a verse... trying for over an hour and its driving me nuts!

I'm better off using one of the web sites where it's fairly intuitive. Eloquent is NOT. And there are no clear instructions on how to do this... only a statement that a person can do it... which is no help at all.

Just about ready to uninstall the whole works.
[Jun 13, 2011 10:56:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male gto49
Stranger

Re: Searching?

Well, that's just weird... I tried and tried to search on the word "love" and each time I get "0 verses". So I posted the above. Then I go back and try again, and THIS time, it worked.

Go figure... now I feel dumb.
[Jun 13, 2011 11:05:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Hi.

I assume you switched to indexed search mode before you entered the word?
If you enter a search work in reference search mode then the search will probably find nothing.
There are two search modes, reference and index search mode. You switch between the two via the segmented button in the top toolbar.

The content of right sidebar changes depending on in which search mode you are. If in indexed search mode you can set ranges for your search, e.g. only in NT or only in Letters.
When in reference searxh mode the right sidebar shows the list of books and chapters in the works.
You can either choose a chapter there or, which is the prefered way, just enter a reference in the textbox in the toolbar, like gen 1.1.

Manfred
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mdbergmann at Jun 14, 2011 3:54:05 AM]
[Jun 14, 2011 3:51:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

Well, that's just weird... I tried and tried to search on the word "love" and each time I get "0 verses". So I posted the above. Then I go back and try again, and THIS time, it worked.

Go figure... now I feel dumb.

Next to the field where you type in references and search phrases, on the left, is a double button. If the left side is pressed (little horizontal lines), you are in the Scripture reference mode, where you enter references. But if you click on the little magnifying glass, you change the search mode to indexed search mode, which Manfred described, which allows you to search for terms found within the Bible or whatever modules you have open in the window below. HTH

-Jon
[Jun 14, 2011 10:44:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mountainsr4climbing
Stranger

USA
sad Re: Searching?

Use the button to the left of the search line to switch between reference mode (entering Bible texts) and search mode (entering keywords).

It think it's silly, especially as we're all getting used to integrated searches - why not just have the engine recognize whether it's a reference or not, and search/look up the reference accordingly? I don't know, but for now, the button is the key...
[Sep 13, 2011 2:24:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread