mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1802 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Male conan99
Stranger

New Zealand
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Highlighting for Pocketsword

Sorry if this has already been threaded, but I would love to be able to simply select and highlight text within Pocketsword for iphone.

I can see it 'easily' being achieved by adding a couple of options to the bookmarking menu. (See below)

I prefer this to be simply highlighting, no naming or saving or specifying (you can already do that with a bookmark)

I'm no software genius, but this would make severely enhance my user experience!

Thanks!
[May 24, 2011 7:39:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male niccarter
Veteran

Australia
Re: Highlighting for Pocketsword

Hi there.

Thanks for your mock-up of what it could look like. That is an interesting idea and I'll take a look into it. I agree that highlighting is currently rather fiddly and could be improved on! Unfortunately I don't have a lot of free time right now (being a volunteer and all) and my spare time is being used to work on the iPad version. But, after that is released, I hope to "fix" highlighting.

Thanks for your suggestion! ybic
nic... :)
----------------------------------------
PocketSword Developer
http://twitter.com/PocketSword
[May 25, 2011 9:42:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

Hi there.

Thanks for your mock-up of what it could look like. That is an interesting idea and I'll take a look into it. I agree that highlighting is currently rather fiddly and could be improved on! Unfortunately I don't have a lot of free time right now (being a volunteer and all) and my spare time is being used to work on the iPad version. But, after that is released, I hope to "fix" highlighting.

Thanks for your suggestion! ybic

If I could, I'd like to point out a potential problem with this way of highlighting--namely finding a highlight to go back to it later. One of the points of highlighting is, of course, to make it easy to find a text later, but without also bookmarking the text, finding again later will be much more difficult--of course, there's always the serendipity of finding a verse you highlighted long ago, but then you forget why you highlighted it (another advantage of the "long way" is that you are prompted to name it, which creates an association with the highlight).

Now, I suppose that this way of highlighting is good for quick and dirty projects, but I would fear (if I were the developer) that people would resort to this rather than the long way, with confusion resulting. This aspect certainly needs to be taken into consideration if and when this form of highlighting gets implemented. :-)

-Jon
[May 26, 2011 12:27:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male niccarter
Veteran

Australia

Hi Jon,

Those are good points. The way I was thinking of implementing this behind the scenes was to create some read-only folders that the user cannot delete and cannot edit, but can add bookmarks to. That way the above "short cut" would simply add a "bookmark" to the designated folder & would highlight the verse that way. Also, this way the user could "move" the bookmark at a later date if they so chose to.

What do you think about this? This is all thinking aloud, as I don't have time to implement this yet, and this is simply what I think it would probably look like? :)

Thanks, ybic
----------------------------------------
PocketSword Developer
http://twitter.com/PocketSword
[May 26, 2011 10:27:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

Nic-

That sounds like a winner. Maybe a top-level folder, named "highlights" or "default highlights", and in that the various subfolders, colored and named by their colors: red, yellow, green, etc. (maybe Apple's original 6 colors?) ;-) This would keep the top level from being crowded out by the highlight colors.

I'm liking this. ;-)

-Jon
[May 27, 2011 1:26:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male conan99
Stranger

New Zealand

Thanks Nic & Jon,
You're awesome for considering my suggestion!
I too thought you could just list all the highlighted sections in some other way later, but I didn't want to sound like an imp!

However, listing this top-level folder (all my highlights) would be like a greatest hits of the bible (selected by me of course!). Would be great reading in times of no inspiration and with only time for a quick browse.

I also enjoy re-reading a passage to discover I'd highlighted some particular passage. It sort of jumps out at you all over again.

Thanks again for considering Nic, appreciate your work!
[May 29, 2011 7:33:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread