mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 34
Posts: 34   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10709 times and has 33 replies Next Thread
Male wwjdusa
Regular

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Russian Language Bible (specifically Old Testament)

The English Bibles have an option, called Red Letter, which makes the Word of Christ in red color. I looked at the options of the RSV Bible and it does not have Red Letter option.

If it is not too difficult, then could you add the option, Red Letter to the RSV Bible. Thanks.
[May 18, 2011 11:31:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male wwjdusa
Regular

United States

I'm not sure if this would help you, but on the official server "CrossWire 1 (http)", there is a RSV New Testament module. The name of it is "RusVZh". The description is "Russian New Testament with Strong's Numbers under edition of..."

This module has the option "Red Letter" and the texts are in Russian language. Maybe you could somehow copy the source code for red letters and implement it to the current module.

If not, I can manually go through the New Testament, and highlight texts which ought to be color: red
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wwjdusa at May 18, 2011 1:48:07 PM]
[May 18, 2011 1:17:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Kalemas
Regular

Russia

Sorry me for that i didn't provide links.

Experimental repository can be added in Module Manager with following parameters:
server: ftp.crosswire.org
path: /pub/sword/experimentalraw

There is module RusSynodal.

Another repository with Russian Bibles and dictionaries would be forbidden by Croswire because of copyright, and i can not give you direct link, use Google.

Unfortunately some time ago the only full Bible module was removed from official Crosswire repo , because of copyright reasons.
[May 19, 2011 1:04:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male cgngon
Regular

Hi Kalemas,

Indeed, the Russian Synodal Bible already exist. I didn't take a look into this experimental repository before beginning to built this module. Just look into raw and betaraw. So we worked almost for nothing. However, the module we have done is the Protestant version of the synodal russian Bible. Maybe it will be helpful to some who are interested by this versification.

Thanks again for your information.

Regards.
[May 19, 2011 4:22:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male wwjdusa
Regular

United States

Hi Cyrille,

Everything looks good except for three thing:

1) The New Testament books are in the wrong order. In English Bibles, the New Testament has this order: "Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians..." In Russian Bibles, the New Testament has this order: "Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Jude, Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Filimon, Hebrews, and Revelation". Whenever you used a module with Apocrypha books, the order of New Testament was correct.

2) It would be convenient, to have an option: "Christ's words in Red letters" (Read my previous two (2) replies, to see a better explanation)

3) For the description, you wrote, "Protestant Russian Synodal Bible". In America, the 66 book Bible is called "Protestant". In Russian language, the 66 book Bible is called, "Canon". If a Russian sees the word "Canon", he will know that this is a 66 book Bible. If a Russian sees the word "Protestant", he will not know to what you are referring.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wwjdusa at May 19, 2011 9:14:48 AM]
[May 19, 2011 8:54:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Kalemas
Regular

Russia

I'm not sure that you had work for nothing. I bless you to post that module to Crosswire, maybe you will be more successful. Official repository need any Bible in Russian.

Book order is a question of versification, different versifications may have different book order and different verse count in particular chapter. Modules that using Synodal versification will get into Expermental repository. So if you need module for immediate usage then use KJV versification (you will also need to indicate where verse refers to different Synodal verse). I have tables with mapping between KJV and Sword's Synodal versification.
[May 19, 2011 10:58:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male wwjdusa
Regular

United States

If we proceed with "Synodal versification", then the RSV Bible will go into the experimental repository. How long would we need to wait, before the RSV Bible moves from experimental repository to official repository?

The reason that I ask this, is because all of the Russians Bibles use this special book order, both the canon Bibles (66 books) and the full Bibles (66 books + Apocrypha). To the Russian speaking people, it would be confusing to see New Testament in KJV versification.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an idea:

One module can be created with the KJV versification. This module would immediately go to the official repository. Another module can be created with Russian Synodal versification and it will go into experimental repository. After x amount of time, the Synodal versification would move to the official servers. When this happens, someone will need to remove the Russian Bible with KJV versification from the official repository.

By following this, we would immediately have the Russian Bible on the official repository and eventually have the synodal book order for the Russian New Testament. What do you think of this idea?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kalemas,
You said that there is a full Bible (66 books + Apocrypha) in the experimental repository. How much more time is needed for it to move to the official repositories?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wwjdusa at May 19, 2011 12:12:12 PM]
[May 19, 2011 12:06:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male wwjdusa
Regular

United States

Concerning the red letters... I am willing to go through every text and add manually add the markup. Even though it might take some time, I am willing to do this since this would bring an extra benefit to Bible readers. I do not know how to "add the markup". Be sure to explain this procedure to me and show me few examples. Thank you.

Concerning the book order... If PocketSword does not have a "Canon" synodal versification, then use the KJV Canon versification. I myself personally think that KJV Canon versification would be more appropriate than Synodal Full Bible versification.

The Bible description looks good.
[May 20, 2011 9:16:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male cgngon
Regular

Hi David,
If you have the complete list of Jesus word, i coule try to add markup automaticaly.
Regards
[May 20, 2011 1:50:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male wwjdusa
Regular

United States

Oh wow!!! It is wonderful to know that you have the list "Word's of Christ" and that majority of my work is complete. If there is an easy method to apply the entire list to the RSV Bible, then please proceed and apply the entire list. I will then make special corrections to the verses, where part of the verse must be black and the other part must be red.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wwjdusa at May 20, 2011 4:43:02 PM]
[May 20, 2011 4:40:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 34   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread