mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 34
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9926 times and has 33 replies Next Thread
Male wwjdusa
Regular

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Russian Language Bible (specifically Old Testament)

Peace unto you,

I greet you in the name of Christ. I greatly appreciate your hard work and your time which you have invested in technology. I have an ipod touch and I use your app, "Pocket Sword". I need a Russian language Bible. Through the servers, I was able to download the Russian New Testament and the Russian Pentateuch. I would greatly appreciate if I could somehow obtain the full Russian Old Testament.

Do you know where I can obtain the full Russian Old Testament? If it is available, I would love to have it on my ipod. If it is not available, maybe I could help with its creation.

May the Grace of Lord Jesus be upon you,
David Morgan
[May 2, 2011 12:13:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male cgngon
Regular

Re: Russian Language Bible (specifically Old Testament)

Hi,
i can help you create this module.
Do you know where i can find a public domain text file in russian tto use for creatiing this?
Regards.
[May 3, 2011 1:17:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male wwjdusa
Regular

United States

You can access the entire Russian Bible by clicking on this link:

http://www.archive.org/details/RussianSynodalBible

Afterwards, click on "All Files: HTTP" and download the entire Bible in the format which you prefer. I hope that this helps.
[May 3, 2011 6:25:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male wwjdusa
Regular

United States

How do I add this module to the ipod?
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wwjdusa at May 4, 2011 2:16:45 PM]
[May 4, 2011 2:16:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male cgngon
Regular

Hi,

You can follow this link to.

http://crosswire.org/pocketsword/PocketSword/...y_Installing_Modules.html

The zip file i made is compatible with this process.

Regards.
[May 5, 2011 6:13:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male wwjdusa
Regular

United States

I greatly appreciate the work which you did for me...

However, I'm sure that there would be other people in the future would like to have access to the full Russian Old Testament. Is it possible to submit the module to one of the "official" servers. That way, the module would be available to everyone and would be available at all times, (not just for 4 days). Thanks in advance.
[May 6, 2011 7:25:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male wwjdusa
Regular

United States

At home, I do not have Wifi, and so I had to go to college to follow these instructions: http://crosswire.org/pocketsword/PocketSword/...y_Installing_Modules.html

In college, I 'm able to follow difertions to a certain extent and then I get stuck. My ipod touch shows the "Bonjour" and the "IP" address, but it does not show the "Web" address. For "web address", my ipod touch says "Web: Unable to determine external IP". I installed Safari on the college computer with Bonjour service. When I enter the "Bonjour" address into Safari's URL, but I was told that "Safari can't open the page". When I entered the "IP" address, I was told the same thing. I tried entering the addresses into Internet Explorer and I received the same results.

I'm not sure what to do, to get around this problem. Therefore, I am not able to test out your module. Maybe you could give me some directions on how to get around the problem.

Something else that you could do, is submit the Russian Old Testament to the official servers. Then, I could download it and test it out. If I find any mistakes, I would report them to you and you could make corrections.

Once again, I appologize that I am having problems with following the directions. Thank you for doing the difficult portion of the work and I ask you to guide me with the easy portion.
[May 10, 2011 11:40:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male cgngon
Regular

Hi,

I used tools describe here

http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/DevTools:Modules

to validate the module, and found that there is missing verse numbers in the original document used to create this module. The verses are present, but some verse number are missing. If you can add missing number (using a paper russian synodal bible), and send me a new file by mail or another link to better source document, i will be able to create a module without error and submit it to sword team.

Hère is a file with actual error (missing verse).

http://cjoint.com/?3Emr87uVXxt

Regards
[Edit 1 times, last edit by cgngon at May 13, 2011 12:09:16 PM]
[May 12, 2011 9:01:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male wwjdusa
Regular

United States

I analyzed the "missing verses" which your program displayed. All of the "missing verses" fall in either three categories:

The first category is missing number in the original Russian Bible file. For example, your program showed that Genesis 8:22 is missing. I checked with my paper Russian Bible. In the text file, the actual verse is present, but number "22" was missing. I went ahead and added "22" to the text file. Next on your list, Genesis 14:20 is missing. I went to the original text file here are the numbers ... "18", "19", "21", "22". The actual verse "20" was present, but the number "20" was missing. I went ahead and added the number "20". Similar problem existed for the other verses, that the actual verses were present, but the number was sometimes missing. I am currently working on correcting this problem and when I am finished, I will post the original file with the corrected verses.

The second category is that there is a slight difference in English and Russian Bible. Please understand me correctly, the two Bibles have the same content, but the numbering are sometimes different. For example, in English Bible, in Chapter 1 of Song of Solomon, there are 17 verses. In Russian Bible, in Chapter 1 of Song of Solomon, there are 16 verses. In English Bible, there is verse 16 and 17. In Russian Bible, verse 16 and 17 are combined together and labeled as verse 16. Your program detects that verse 17 is missing, while in reality, nothing is missing. Another example is Numbers 12-13. In English Bible, Numbers 12 has 16 verses. In Russian Bible, Numbers 12 has 15 verses. However, E. Number 12:16 = R. Numbers 13:1, E. Number 13:1 = R. Numbers 13:2, E. Number 13:2 = R. Numbers 13:3, ..., E. Number 13:33 = R. Numbers 13:34. In English Bible, Numbers 13 has 33 verses, while the Russian Bible has 34 verses. This is the second category of problem. I will work on a list which would display all of these differences.

The third category was a number without a space. The verses which were separated had a space and then a number. The verses which were not separated had a period(dot) following by a number, and did not have a space. For odd reason, when there is not a space, your program did not separate the verses. I am manually adding a spacing to the needed verses.

Most of the problems fall either in category #2 or #3

Also, in my life, I studied the Russian Bible (RSV) and many different versions of the English Bible. From my experience, the RSV is the closest to the KJV. For example, RSV and KJV have the following phrase in the Lord's Prayer: "For Thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory". To my surprise, many new version have phrases like these cut out.

Please give me some time and I will work on correcting the numbering. Thanks.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by wwjdusa at May 14, 2011 11:58:02 AM]
[May 14, 2011 11:41:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male wwjdusa
Regular

United States

I went ahead and corrected the "missing verses".

I did not make any corrections with the books of Psalms, since the Russian and the English numbering are a lot different. Allow me to bring you some examples: In English, Psalm 3 has this title, "A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son". Then, verse 1 says, "LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me". In the Russian Bible, Psalm 3:1 says, "A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son". Psalm 3:2, says, "LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me". Through this, the Russian Bible has one additional verse in many of the psalms.

Other than the additional verse, there is another problem, which is "One Psalm split". The English Psalm 9 and Psalm 10 have the same content as Russian Psalm 9. Then, E. Psalm 11 = R. Psalm 10, E. Psalm 12 = R. Psalm 11 and etc. This continues until English Psalm 147. In Russian Psalm 146 and 147 have the same content as English Psalm 147. Therefore, in the end, both English and the Russian Bible have 150 Psalms.

I'm attaching a file separately, which has the book of Psalms with English numbering. The numbers which are bold are the English numbers. The numbers which are in parenthesis are the Russian numbers. If you try to run this file through your program, then it should parse correctly. Here is the Psalm file:

https://sites.google.com/site/wwjdru/Psalm.doc?attredirects=0&d=1

I previously told you that all of the "missing verses" fall into 3 categories. Just now, I finished the missing verse list. I indeed found one missing verse, which was missing from the original file. The only missing verse was Hebrews 7:18 and I added it to the Bible.doc file. Most of the errors occurred because of category #3. Here is the modified Bible.doc file which has the corrections:

https://sites.google.com/site/wwjdru/Bible.doc?attredirects=0&d=1

There were some errors as the result of category #2. All of these verses need to be changed manually. The numbering is set to English, but the numbers which are in parenthesis are the Russian numbering. Here is the file which lists all of the "numbering" differences:

https://sites.google.com/site/wwjdru/VerseDifference.xls?attredirects=0&d=1

Please process the files and tell me which additional problems you encounter. Thanks.

Once again, thank you for helping create the Russian language Bible. May God bless you for all your hard work.
[May 15, 2011 5:39:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread