mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 14
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11358 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Male treader

Thailand
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Thai Bible & Concordance available as .exe files - any way to use in Eloquent?

Hi,

I'm a newbie here. I basically registered to ask one question:

For my Thai friends I recently found what is called a Thai KJV red letter edition, a Thai and English KJV, and a Thai concordance. This would be especially helpful, because using the conventional word-search features of the present Thai KJV bible comes up with extremely disappointing results. And I suspect the use of Eloquent's highlighting of the words of Christ in red, may have some problems as well. This present bible has been available for years for MacSword. Eloquent allows me to provide my own parallel bibles, so that's cool. However, the concordance would be a real winner if I could just get it into Eloquent.

Problem is that the files are .exe files for PCs, and I can't figure out whether I can open and use them in a form accessible by Eloquent.

The file downloads can be found here: Thai KJV Bible and Concordance

If anyone can tell me if this can be done, and if so, how, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,

Treader
[Mar 6, 2011 12:10:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Re: Thai Bible & Concordance available as .exe files - any way to use in Eloquent?

Hi.

I couldn't extract the .exe on Mac. And on Windows it did nothing when double clicking the .exe.
However I doubt that the extracted data can be used in SWORD as is. Probably you need to create a SWORD module out of this.

Manfred
[Mar 9, 2011 9:17:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male thaipope
Stranger

Re: Thai Bible & Concordance available as .exe files - any way to use in Eloquent?

Hi,

I installed Eloquent and it includes a module downloader which can download and install Sword modules. Using this, I downloaded and installed the Thai KJV Bible from the Sword site. If you'd like detailed instructions, I can give them.

The Thai KJV Bible Concordance hasn't been formatted for the Sword program, so it can't be used in Eloquent at this time. The download from my website, www.thaipope.org, will download an .exe file. When you run that .exe file it will extract a .chm file. They run on a Windows PC, but I don't think they will work on Mac.

Philip
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by thaipope at Apr 9, 2011 4:10:07 PM]
[Apr 9, 2011 4:09:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male treader

Thailand

Hi Philip,

First, I'd like to thank you for translating the KJV into Thai. That was a monumental undertaking! It must have occupied a good portion of your life! That will be built on the Rock for sure!

I have been using the module for several years that is available through the MacSword link. I'm sorry that I'm not very computer savvy, or technically minded to say whether I can make the new Red Letter Edition, and Concordance into modules, but anything is possible. I will look into creating modules, and determine whether it is over my head or not. However, I'm going to be busy - at least for the next month.

At present, one can select the words of Jesus in red when viewing, but I don't know how accurate that is, as my Thai ability is poor. I know that to do a simple word search seems pretty bad. I would highlight the Thai word (to the best of my understanding of Thai - or have a Thai friend help) and copy/paste it into the search field. However, the results always came up far short of what I knew the word should have yielded in English, but it could be my error. So I know that your Red letter Edition, would probably be an improvement, and your Concordance would certainly be an improvement. Plus, Eloquent is a definite improvement over MacSword, so getting it to work in that would be most helpful.

Thanks again,

Treader (actually, Jeffrey)
[Apr 10, 2011 2:09:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Hi.

When you run that .exe file it will extract a .chm file. They run on a Windows PC, but I don't think they will work on Mac.

There are a couple of chm readers on Mac available.
For example this one:
http://www.robinlu.com/ichm

Manfred
[Apr 10, 2011 8:11:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male treader

Thailand

Hi,

Well I went to Philip Pope's homepage, <www.thaipope.org> and downloaded the .exe file - in this case for his Thai KJV Red Letter edition. If opened on a PC it will extract a .chm file. However the .exe file only opens in Text Edit on a Mac.

Searching Google for a .exe to .chm converter comes up with a lot of hits, but they are just software companies trying to get you to their page. Brothersoft and Lisisoft were two of the Google hits that I visited, but they failed to present me with an appropriate converter program. Searching for a Text Edit or TestEdit to .chm converter yielded no results. So, in the end, I can't find a way to convert a .exe file to a .chm file on Mac.

I did download the chm reader Manfred mentioned, but I have to get the file converted from .exe to .chm first. Then, of course, I don't know what to do to make that useable in Eloquent, but I haven't researched that yet.

As for my own history, I've tried to open .exe files on a Mac before, even going to the extent of downloading a trial version of the program, "Crossover", which was a real disappointment, and cost a lot. So, I am stopped on the conversion of .exe files, and have "been there done that" twice now, and really think that, in this case stopped means stopped.

However, if someone knows something I don't regarding a way for a Mac to open a .exe file, please let me know, because, other than that, I'm stuck.

Thanks.

Jeffrey
[Apr 11, 2011 4:19:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

The exe file is a self-extracting container for the chm file.
You can't extract that on Mac except because it contains some binary code which doesn't run on Mac.
The only way is to extract the exe on PC and take the chm to your Mac.
It would be good if the author could offer a standard .zip file for download which can be opened anywhere.

Manfred
[Apr 11, 2011 5:08:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male thaipope
Stranger

Hi Jeffrey:

The Thai KJV Bible Concordance chm file can be downloaded from my website in a zip file at: http://www.thaipope.org/modules/Thai KJV Bible Concordance.zip

It can also be downloaded in htm files at: http://www.thaipope.org/modules/Thai KJV Bible Concordance 2.zip

You might have to copy and paste these links to get them to work.

Thanks for Manfred for the info about the chm reader for the Mac.

The Thai KJV Bible that you downloaded through the MacSword link should have both red letter and headings, but they have to be turned on. There's a button above the text where they can be turned on.

May God bless.

Philip
[Apr 11, 2011 8:54:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male treader

Thailand

Hi,

Well, we have the whole team working together on this now. "...how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! ". Great!

That should be everything I need. Thanks to you both.

Philip, I went to the link, and downloaded the zip file: http://www.thaipope.org/modules/

I've never done it before, but if it's in html, apparently it can be imported into Accordance, which is very good for me. Is the Thai KJV itself available in html anywhere?

I took a brief look at it, and it looks like you did a vast amount of work, again - apart from what you already did in the translation.

You are right about the Thai KJV Bible having settings for red letter, and I have used them - It's just that I didn't know they were entered manually, so now I can rest assured that the breaks between black and red letters are correct. That's what I was getting at in my original post.

The concordance has to be a great tool, though. I bought a friend a hard copy, as I never saw a more avid reader, and can't imagine Bible study without one. I'm pretty sure that one wasn't KJV, as I got it from OMF.

I speak Thai 'dai nidnoi' (very little) and read even less. But it helps when I can have a parallel bible going and only a couple students crowded around the computer. Now they are becoming computer savvy, and have moved away, so this will help them a lot. One friend is on PC, the other (and his family) are on a Mac.

So, as I mentioned earlier, it's a matter of time, but also my involvement here is much less than it used to be. But I'd still like to make it available for my friends, even if we don't sit around my computer much anymore.

So, thanks to you both - and a special thanks to Philip for all the work translating the KJV into Thai, and the further work on the concordance. Bible translators are kind of heros of mine. I started out studying to do that, but got sidetracked, and never went to the mission field, but retired here in Thailand.

God Bless you too!

Jeffrey
[Apr 12, 2011 8:31:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male thaipope
Stranger

Hi Jeffrey:

Sawatdii Khrap!

Glad to hear the zip files were downloaded OK.

The Thai KJV Bible is available in html on my website. A Thai only version at: http://www.thaipope.org/webbible/index.htm and a Thai/English version at: http://www.thaipope.org/webdual/index.htm

It’s good to hear you’re living in Thailand. My son and I will be traveling to Thailand this October for 2 weeks to visit several churches and attend a Christian camp.

I’m interested in knowing how importing the concordance into Eloquent goes. If you need the text in another format other than html, I can probably assist with that.

May God bless.

Philip
[Apr 13, 2011 7:20:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread