mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 28
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6472 times and has 27 replies Next Thread
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
MacSword rename

Hi.

MacSword will get renamed to "Eloquent" in the next release (2.3).
There are more reasons but one of the main one is that Apple doesn't allow a name containing "Mac" in the AppStore.

The most urgent graphics need would be for the macsword.com home page.
Anyone good at graphics?

Manfred
[Jan 16, 2011 10:14:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

Re: MacSword rename

I'm not sure I like the idea of MS being in the App store. Will it be still be able to make use of the sword:// url scheme? How about the comand-f-key sequence? (not, I think, that it's working at the moment) I can probably live without the fkey, but the sword:// url is a lifeline for me. :-) Thanks for listening.

-Jon
[Jan 16, 2011 12:03:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Apple didn't list any of those reasons. So I guess they are not a problem.

There will be only one change. That is the version for the AppStore will not use Sparkle updater but the AppStore automatic updater.

Manfred
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mdbergmann at Jan 16, 2011 12:22:57 PM]
[Jan 16, 2011 12:22:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male chasm
Regular

USA

By that, do you mean eye candy for macsword dot com, or a flashy new icon and screenshots for the App Store?
----------------------------------------
<this signature intentionally left blank>
[Jan 16, 2011 6:56:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Geek [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

Eventually all of it. :)
But for now a new symbol/icon for the web page would be enough.
There will be a new domain as well.

Manfred
[Jan 17, 2011 12:32:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

Apple didn't list any of those reasons. So I guess they are not a problem.

There will be only one change. That is the version for the AppStore will not use Sparkle updater but the AppStore automatic updater.

Well, that'll be a relief. :-)

-Jon
[Jan 17, 2011 1:50:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male undercover
Regular

What about something like this:
http://dagyo.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/eloquent.png
[Jan 20, 2011 6:37:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male mdbergmann
Inventory

Germany

That's actually not bad. I'm wondering how it looks as app icon.
Have to try.

Manfred
[Jan 21, 2011 1:59:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male undercover
Regular

Just copy paste it over the current icon to try it out. I just mocked it up using Pixelmator, if you want anything more fancy I'll go use photoshop at work. Any changes? Colors/concepts? I'm not a real designer but I can do basic stuff like this.
[Jan 23, 2011 6:19:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male JonGl
Regular

Just copy paste it over the current icon to try it out. I just mocked it up using Pixelmator, if you want anything more fancy I'll go use photoshop at work. Any changes? Colors/concepts? I'm not a real designer but I can do basic stuff like this.

I just had to try it! ;) It looks gorgeous, IMO, and I particularly love the sword. But it seems that you might want to change a couple. I'm looking at when the icon is fairly small (like in the Finder or on a crowded Dock). The contrast could maybe be a bit greater (so the "E" stands out a bit more), and the wonderful litle sword.... well, it's just that--little--maybe too little. At least I can't really see it on the Dock. In fact, right now, on my Dock, it looks like an accent "accute" (like in "fiancé").

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining! If this icon were used as it is, I'd be happy, but if you are like me, you want to make things as perfect as you can, so I thought I'd share my thoughts. But honestly, as a user, I like this design. :)

-Jon
[Jan 24, 2011 12:27:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread