mvnForum Homepage Welcome Guest  | Guest Setting  |  Register  |   Login
  Search  
Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Online  | User List  | Help

»

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4500 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Male ebgd7
Regular

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Advice needed on encoding Bible Introductions in OSIS for Sword

Hi!
Now, that We (Polish Sword community) were given the 'publishing house quality' Bible e-text together with permission to use with Sword, there are some questions on how to properly encode the text into OSIS used in Sword.

The original book comprises of Biblical text+
- introductions to each separate book,
- introductions to selected book groups,
- introductions to both Testaments,
- general introduction to the Bible,
- additional 'press' info, as imprimatur, people involved etc.

To make things even more complicated some books have prologues.

From my understanding the Sword adds a notion of verse number 0 (of unknown meaning to me), and chapter number 0 (an introduction to a book?) This might be handy, but I really do not know which is the correct way. I've also seen in 'requests for functionality' proposal to introduce 'a Bible tree selector' - perhaps similar to what is available in General Book - to select chapters, introductions, sections...

As for OSIS itself there is no problem in encoding introductions for books / book groups, but the goal is to have this [understood & properly rendered] in Sword.

One walkaround that comes to my mind is usage of Commentary / general book - as it is with Darby's Bible and Darby's translation notes.
Commentary might be used for individual book introductions (for example as acommentary fot the fist chapter).

Those are only examples and loose thoughts on the problem. I woluld really like to hear the advice from the experienced Ones - developers maybe?

Please help.

Chris biggrin
[Feb 28, 2005 4:04:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male Osk
Developer

Re: Advice needed on encoding Bible Introductions in OSIS for Sword

Just encode with OSIS. It should work fine.

All of the cases you mention are handled, except for "introductions to selected book groups." In OSIS, you can encode separate <div type="bookGroup"> elements, so just follow OSIS best practice recommendations and we'll fix the importer if anything doesn't work correctly. (It may actually work already, but I would guess that this part won't be handled.)
[Feb 28, 2005 12:19:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Male ebgd7
Regular

smile Re: Advice needed on encoding Bible Introductions in OSIS for Sword

Just encode with OSIS. It should work fine.

All of the cases you mention are handled, except for "introductions to selected book groups." In OSIS, you can encode separate <div type="bookGroup"> elements, so just follow OSIS best practice recommendations and we'll fix the importer if anything doesn't work correctly. (It may actually work already, but I would guess that this part won't be handled.)

Short answer to the long question wink , but very informative. OK, so I'll follow the OSIS2.0 spec's and the example of CEV.1995.Titus from the Bible Technologies website. Of course I'll post information about any found problems with osis2mod. OSK, thanks for information!!
[Mar 1, 2005 6:44:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread