mvnForum Homepage

Print at Sep 17, 2014 8:40:36 AM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by JonGl at Nov 24, 2010 3:15:37 AM
CPU usage
Howdie-

I got upgraded to the latest MacSword in recent days, (2.2.11-1740), and now, when it's open, it runs at well over 100% of CPU usage. It brings my 2.66mhz, w/ 4 gigs of ram to its knees, with the fan running full-blast after a short while. Am I unique with this problem? Or did something go wrong with the update? TIA

-Jon

Posted by mdbergmann at Nov 24, 2010 10:52:47 AM
Re: CPU usage
Hi.

This release brings back the background indexer which indexes all your modules.
It was removed some time ago because people complained about the CPU usage but there was a feature request here and I actually like it as well.

However you can disable it. Type this in a command line:

defaults write org.crosswire.MacSword DefaultsBackgroundIndexerEnabled no

Manfred

Posted by JonGl at Nov 26, 2010 7:21:39 AM
Thanks for the guidance! That seems to have fixed it. Thanks. Oh, and I took the lazy way out, and used Property List Editor to make the change--mostly because I was curious if it was already flipped to on or not, before I reinstalled the app.

-Jon

Posted by mdbergmann at Nov 27, 2010 5:27:13 AM
Yeah, you can of course also use the Property List Editor tool.

Per default this setting should be disabled. But if you came from MacSword 2.0.x then it's possible this setting was still enabled in preferences.

Manfred

Posted by JonGl at Nov 27, 2010 6:34:03 AM
Yeah, you can of course also use the Property List Editor tool.

Per default this setting should be disabled. But if you came from MacSword 2.0.x then it's possible this setting was still enabled in preferences.

Manfred

Yeah, I had 2.0 installed from way back. Maybe that was why I was never able to use the app. I didn't realize it at the time. Was this feature also part of the constant crashing problem, then?

-Jon

Posted by mdbergmann at Nov 27, 2010 7:19:21 AM
Yeah, I had 2.0 installed from way back. Maybe that was why I was never able to use the app. I didn't realize it at the time. Was this feature also part of the constant crashing problem, then?

There were module database problems which were causing crashes. The indexing code wasn't that stable as well. So yes, maybe that was the cause for some crashes.

Manfred