mvnForum Homepage

Print at Dec 26, 2014 1:45:55 AM
View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by JohanMarais at Jun 28, 2010 11:36:51 AM
From Windows PC to iPhone
I have created a bible module for The SWORD Project for Windows from a GBF UTF-8 text file, using imp2vs, e.g.

$$$ Gen 1:1
In the beginning ...

My goal is to make this same module available for the iPhone and SwordReader.

The bible module has inter alia the following within the text:

Hebrew letters for the Name of the Father and the Son.
Characters with diacritical markers (e.g. h with a dot below, b with a line below, etc. - "special characters")
Colored text
Italics
Super text
Bold

The above show 100% correcty in Windows.

I have copied this module to iPhone and the Hebrew and the special characters show correctly, but the colored text, bold, italics and super text show the "markup" (RTF), i.e. {\cf2} for blue, {\i} for italics, {\super} for superscript, etc.

Similarly in SwordReader, except the Hebrew and special characters just show blocks, probably just a font issue. The same with SlideBible (it is a pity the font cannot be changed though).

I assume that the module for the iPhone requires text to be in OSIS format?

Question: How do I progress from the Windows PC module that I have to making this module for iPhone and SwordReader please?

I have downloaded all the utiities and have read the posts, but I am at a loss.

All and any help is appreciated - but please note tht I am not a programmer.

In His Name,

Johan

Posted by niccarter at Jun 29, 2010 10:20:30 PM
Re: From Windows PC to iPhone
Hi there Johan,

sounds impressive. :) The issue with your module is that you have created it only with that one SWORD app in mind (the Windows one). It is the ONLY app that we have that uses those codes for markup. :( AFAIK, every other app uses HTML (or plain text) as opposed to RTF. Ideally, it would be great if you created an OSIS formatted module, but I can't help you with that. I would suggest you ask in the module creation forums on this site, and see if other people can help you. Alternatively, you could try replacing your markup codes with the equivalent HTML codes. I cannot guarantee that it would properly work in every case, but it would work at least most of the time. :)

FYI, I believe that development has stopped on The SWORD Project for Windows, and I would suggest you try using Xiphos instead and see how well your module works in that. Because Xiphos uses the same formatting as PocketSword and SwordReader, if the special formatting codes work in it, it should work in PocketSword too! :) But, as I said, directly inserting markup codes into a module like you have done is asking for trouble. :( But, at least, if your markup was in HTML, it would work a majority of the time. Doing your markup in RTF means it would only work in that one Windows app, whereas if you did your markup in HTML, it would work in all the apps except that specific Windows one! :( Hence, as you can probably see, it's best to create a module that doesn't try to do it's own markup, but instead used the proper GBF markup codes (or, alternatively, OSIS). :)

Actually, I see that you have asked in the correct forum and didn't get a response except to ask here! :( I hope some of what I have said has been useful? Let me know if you have more questions. You can also search in Google for questions about OSIS. Include "sword-devel" in your search and it should show answers that have been posted on the CrossWire developer mailing list.

I hope that helps? Thanks, ybic
nic... :)
----------------------------------------
PocketSword Developer
http://twitter.com/PocketSword

Posted by JohanMarais at Jul 16, 2010 12:00:08 AM
Thank you, I am making progress with Superscript markup in GBF on the iPhone.

I am stuck though with the markup of changing the colour of the font to blue, Bold and Italics - could someone please assist?

For bold I use <FB> and italics <FI>, but is shows as normal text on the iPhone.

The example in the official "GBF Format Tagging Specification" for changing the colour doesn't work at all, i.e. it shows normal text.

Any help is appreciated.

Johan

Posted by mdbergmann at Jul 16, 2010 12:24:15 AM
Have you tried a HTML markup? Like <b> or <strong> for bold and <i> for italics? If that works you can use
<span style="color:blue;">SomeText</span>
for colors.

Manfred

Posted by JohanMarais at Jul 16, 2010 11:50:18 AM
Thank you, I will try that.
Johan

Posted by JohanMarais at Jul 18, 2010 10:05:39 AM
Good evening,

The reason why bold and italics didn't show, was the font (Arial Unicode MS) it would seem, doesn't support that!!

When using Arial, American Typewriter, Courier, Verdana, etc. it does show bold and italics.

It does not show the blue font colour though, I used different fonts with your suggestion, as well as <font color="blue">, but with no success.

I used both above ways to change the font colour in the config file (About) and the correct font colours show here.

What is the possibility that PocketSword doesn't allow other font colours than black, i.e. the defalt is always black?

Johan

Posted by JohanMarais at Jul 18, 2010 10:07:33 AM
Sorry,

<b> and <i> don't work.

Johan

Posted by Ricardo at Jul 22, 2010 9:32:25 AM
Try <hi type="italic">Your text</hi>
MacSword & PocketSword

Posted by JohanMarais at Jul 22, 2010 11:32:25 AM
Thank you, I will try that.

Do you have a suggestion as to changing the colour of the text to BLUE please?

Johan

Posted by Ricardo at Jul 22, 2010 12:48:25 PM
Nothing in my records, sorry!
MacSword & PocketSword