mvnForum Homepage

Print at Nov 26, 2014 7:02:10 AM
Posted by robertpaulelliott at Apr 25, 2010 1:42:38 AM
Look up in dictionary
Hi guys, whats the deal with right clicking a word and selecting 'look up in dictionary', when I select a dictionary, that pane opens up, but the search text is not looked up. It appears its because the search context is not changed for the word.

Shotto!
Paul

Posted by mdbergmann at Apr 26, 2010 2:58:24 PM
Re: Look up in dictionary
Hi Paul.

I believe the word is looked up but it might not occur in the dictionary which will filter the dictionary word list in the right side bar empty.
Or there is more then one search results. In that case you have to select one or more manually.

Manfred

Posted by robertpaulelliott at Apr 28, 2010 2:25:27 AM
Hey hey, yeah, not quite working right. No matter which word I choose, when I go 'Look up...' it opens the dictionary with a list on the right that includes the entire reference starting with the first entry in the dictionary.

Posted by mdbergmann at Apr 28, 2010 2:46:26 AM
Hmm. I'm not sure I can follow.

When I select the word "darkness" in KJV Gen 1:5 do right-click->lookup_in_dictionary->Smith then the Smith dictionary opens and filters the original key list so that the only darkness is left. This entry is now automatically selected and the explanation displayed.

You need to make sure the word is actually selected (has a different background colour).

Manfred

Posted by robertpaulelliott at Apr 28, 2010 4:14:23 AM
Hi Manfred, thanks for your patience I really appreciate it. Could you try with the Greek Strongs? Are you running PC or Mac? I can't get mine to work the way yours does.

Posted by mdbergmann at Apr 28, 2010 7:32:32 AM
Well, MacSword is for Mac only. So yes, I'm running Mac. :)

Please explain to me first what exactly it is you're trying to do.
If you say Greek Strong's then there is actually no need for the "Lookup in dictionary" function.

Manfred

Posted by robertpaulelliott at Apr 29, 2010 5:22:08 AM
ha ha ha, ahhh, sorry, my bad, I recently converted to mac, so I am still thinking in e sword terms.

all I want is a right click way to look up a word's origin in a strongs book. thats the short and sweet. if there is a better way to do it, please let me know.

Posted by mdbergmann at Apr 29, 2010 7:47:06 AM
Well, if you have a module that supports Strong's numbers like KJV for example and enable "Show Strong's numbers" in the mod options.
And finally if you have set a default Strong's dictionary in preferences then Strong's explanation of a number is displayed as tooltip and in the preview panel if you hover with your mouse over the Strong's links.
If you do left-click on the Strong's link the dictionary will open in another tab.

Like in this screenshot which shows the tooltip. Open the preview panel if you want the explanation persistent.

Manfred

Posted by robertpaulelliott at Apr 30, 2010 5:17:51 AM
awesome, thanks a lot man!

Posted by db_alpha at May 3, 2010 12:46:14 PM
I've encountered a similar problem. Manfred's post worked to a point.

But when I left click on the Strong's number I get a blank dictionary screen. The right hand column is headed Dictionaries of Hebrew and Greek Words followed by numbers 0001 to 00033. There's no title in the tab at the top either.

If I click on one of the numbers on the right, the number list changes to run from 00001 to 05624. But the main panel remains blank.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm using the latest download and this is a brand new installation.

Regards

David

Posted by mdbergmann at May 3, 2010 2:12:24 PM
In order for me to reproduce this could you please give exact details:
- which modules you used
- where, in which verse and word you clicked on the Strong's link

Manfred

Posted by db_alpha at May 3, 2010 2:57:15 PM
I was about to respond to this. But I'm currently unable to open MacSword. It keeps crashing as soon as I try to open it.

Is there a recommended fix for this or can I PM you the crash log as I saw suggested in a similar post?

Posted by mdbergmann at May 4, 2010 3:26:54 AM
Grab the latest update. There was a bug introduced in v2.2.2 which caused the crash.

Manfred

Posted by db_alpha at May 4, 2010 10:12:56 AM
Thanks.

That seems to have fixed both the crash and the blank screen when looking up a Strong's reference.

Regards

David