mvnForum Homepage

Print at Nov 22, 2014 6:13:00 PM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by mikodo at Apr 10, 2010 3:14:07 AM
BibleTime using a lot of CPU processing power
Hello everyone,

I am new to using BibleTime, and this is my first post on the Crosswire forums. With that I am not sure if I am posting in the correct area of the forums, but I do use BibleTime with my desktop, so I will post here.

I use Ubuntu 9.10- 32 bit, on a Quad Core 2.4mhz, Intel machine with integrated graphics using 4 gig of RAM. I notice that BibleTime uses a lot of CPU processor power. One of my CPU's is always using 100% of its' capabilities and the others remain under 5%. This is a lot when other applications usually use a combined CPU usage of less than 5%. A good example of this is the application Xiphos Bible Guide, I can read Bible text, and have an auditory synthesizer speak the text all for less than 5% CPU usage. I don't use many of the features in Bibletime, all that I really want, is to read bible text.

My question is this: Are there processes/features that I can turn off to reduce the CPU load on my machine?

Thank you.

Mike

Posted by alvanx at Apr 11, 2010 12:56:30 PM
Re: BibleTime using a lot of CPU processing power
The best way to receive answers from the developers is probably through the support tracker on sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=954&atid=200954

Posted by mikodo at Apr 11, 2010 11:29:19 PM
Re: BibleTime using a lot of CPU processing power
The best way to receive answers from the developers is probably through the support tracker on sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=954&atid=200954

A copy of the request was sent to the above address.

Thank you.

Posted by Mikey at Aug 24, 2010 3:06:52 PM
Re: BibleTime using a lot of CPU processing power
Your CPU issue sounds somewhat different than mine, since I only noted slow response time during chapter changes when I have many bibles and commentaries all displayed at the same time.

You may find the following suggestion helpful, but there seems to be more going on...

I found that bibletime's feature of seemingly unlimited number of parallel texts causes a major CPU drag when you have multiple highly encoded texts appearing together. For example if you display a KJV text with a NET bible text together, with 4 more bibles in the same window, the CPU usage goes up dramatically.

Some bibles have lots of 'aids' embedded into them, while others are just the words of the printed version. The ones that have "aids" like red letters, crossreferences, strongs numbering, and on... Bible time deals with all these extra features OK, but it is not speed optimized while doing so.

The simplest way I found to reduce the CPU drag is to have fewer parallel collumns displayed at the same time, and do more 'change' versions instead of 'adding' another collumn. ( I limit myself to 3 collumns of bible and 2 collumns of commentary, with the MAG area on screen.)

You may also try increasing the font size so that fewer verses appear in each collumn at a time, since the render engine only worries about the screen.