mvnForum Homepage

Print at Aug 20, 2014 11:24:12 PM
Posts: 25   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by mdbergmann at Jan 10, 2010 3:34:30 PM
Re: MacSword 2.0.7 - Unable to install modules
Which problem?
Does the modules still not install or does the application crash?
The module installer however should work.
If all things fail for you there is still a chance to install the modules manually:
for this the contents of the manually downloaded module's "mods.d" and "modules" folders have to be copied into the same folder structure in:
~/Library/Application Support/Sword/mods.d and
~/Library/Application Support/Sword/modules

Manfred

Posted by BlueSky at Jan 13, 2010 7:06:52 PM
I completely uninstalled MacSword. And then I reinstalled. After that, I attempted to install modules using Module Manager. I still get the same lack of installation response. Unfortunately MacSword is not crashing right now and I lack crash logs.

When I click on "Edit Install Source" to see the network settings this is what is see:

Type: Remote
Name: CrossWire
Host: ftp.crosswire.org
Directory: /pub/sword/raw

When I click on the "Test Source" button, the response is "Warning. The information is not valid. Please check again."

So, possibly my ftp settings are incorrect.

Thanks for your efforts to help me resolve this issue.

Regards,
Gareth

Posted by mdbergmann at Jan 14, 2010 3:37:34 PM
I completely uninstalled MacSword. And then I reinstalled. After that, I attempted to install modules using Module Manager. I still get the same lack of installation response. Unfortunately MacSword is not crashing right now and I lack crash logs.

How do you complete uninstall MacSword? Do you mean you trash the application?

When I click on "Edit Install Source" to see the network settings this is what is see:

Type: Remote
Name: CrossWire
Host: ftp.crosswire.org
Directory: /pub/sword/raw

When I click on the "Test Source" button, the response is "Warning. The information is not valid. Please check again."

So, possibly my ftp settings are incorrect.

They are correct.
This test checks for a mods.d folder on the server which in fact is there but something is wrong with this check.

I don't really know to be honest what might be wrong. Are you still not able to install a module?

Manfred

Posted by BlueSky at Jan 14, 2010 7:45:11 PM
I uninstalled using App Cleaner, so all the hidden files in the Library were also removed.

I am still unable to install a module.

Posted by mdbergmann at Jan 15, 2010 1:05:04 AM
I uninstalled using App Cleaner, so all the hidden files in the Library were also removed.

Hmm, that's interesting.
I'm wondering whether App Cleaner really removed all files that are mentioned in our Wiki.

Manfred

Posted by tbob32 at Jan 15, 2010 9:20:58 AM
I am having the same issue.

I downloaded and installed the latest version of MacSword (first time installing any version) on Jan. 13. After starting the app I tried to download KJV using the module installer. I tried several times, it appeared that it was downloading but nothing was ever installed. I had manually created the module directory as stated in the readme.

I then manually downloaded the KJV and moved it to the dir. When I tried to restart MacSword it crashed and wanted to send the debug info to Apple. I deleted and reinstalled the module and the same happened. If I remove the module the app will start.

I am running OS X 10.6.2 on a new MacBook Pro.

Bob

Posted by mdbergmann at Jan 15, 2010 11:46:25 AM
I downloaded and installed the latest version of MacSword (first time installing any version) on Jan. 13. After starting the app I tried to download KJV using the module installer. I tried several times, it appeared that it was downloading but nothing was ever installed.

Hmm, strange.
It happened to me too, very occasionally.
Normally it downloads well and if the download succeeds it actually installs the module.
As I said before, the only thing I can think of is that the connection to our server is sometimes (or in your case mostly) bad and download is canceled due to a timeout.

Does the install source refresh actually work when the download fails?

I had manually created the module directory as stated in the readme.

In which readme is that stated? You don't need to create any folders yourself.
Please check the wiki pages. All information there is more recent than in the readme.

I then manually downloaded the KJV and moved it to the dir. When I tried to restart MacSword it crashed and wanted to send the debug info to Apple. I deleted and reinstalled the module and the same happened. If I remove the module the app will start.

Please try to remove the whole "Sword" folder, let MacSword re-create it and place your downloaded KJV in there again.
Did you use the Mac module with the .swd ending?

Manfred

Posted by mdbergmann at Jan 16, 2010 6:51:58 PM
Just out of curiosity. Has someone tried other install sources like Xiphos or Bible.org?
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/Module_Repositories

Regards,
Manfred

Posted by BlueSky at Jan 17, 2010 10:59:55 AM

Hmm, that's interesting.
I'm wondering whether App Cleaner really removed all files that are mentioned in our Wiki.

Manfred

Manfred,

I double checked the Wiki. Yes, App Cleaner uninstalled all the files listed in the Wiki - the app itself; user/library/app support/Sword; user/library/preferences/org.crosswire.MacSword.plist.

I just completely uninstalled MacSword 2 and will give it one more try. Then I'm reverting back to the 1.x version that worked.

Thanks for your input and help.

Cheerio,
Gareth

Posted by iammikeb at Jan 17, 2010 1:12:29 PM
Just out of curiosity. Has someone tried other install sources like Xiphos or Bible.org?
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/Module_Repositories

Regards,
Manfred

I have tried the other sources and have the same results. I am in the same boat as BlueSky, going to have to go back to 1.x since 2.x will not work for me at all.

Posts: 25   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]